      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John
      Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 8:59 AM
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: JMT Shelter

      As usual, lots of good and varied info. As Bob I think alluded to, it is really a matter of comfort decisions both on the trail and at camp.
      If you plan on "blasting" through in less than two weeks, then you will most likely be spending more time on the trail and less time at camp. It this case your camp time may be limited to sleep thereby eliminating any need for camp comforts (other than what you need to sleep).
      Having hiked the JMT (and many other trips) with just a no pole bivi sack, I highly recommend getting a good forecast. If it calls for thunder showers either reconsider or plan on camping low and finding shelter.

      If you plan on a longer trip (i.e. more camp time), you may wish to go with some camp comforts including a nice bug proof, rain proof tent. Sure is nice for sitting out afternoon rains and evening bugs.

      JD
      www.johndittli.com

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic

    »