11731Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT Shelter

    Jan 5, 2011
      I like a hooped bivy, but many people would find it claustrobhobic and you need to bring something else to protect your gear from night rains.  The bivy will protect me and my boots from rain, but not much else, so I put my clothes in a waterproof sack on rainy nights.  I experimented with a non-hooped GoreTex bivy, but it had too much condensation.  The hoop and a more breathable fabric solved the condensation problem, at least if I follow the other steps that reduce condensation (site selection, orientation relative to wind, leaving the vents open when possible, avoiding bringing wet stuff into the bivy, etc.)

      Mine is the Black Diamond Lightsabre, since discontinued, but similar in design to the current BD Tripod bivy at 2 lb 10 oz (my bivy with a heavier grade fabric) or Spotlight at 1 lb 2 oz. (same fabric as mine but modified design that probably has more condensation issues than my Lightsabre.)

      While BD site no longer shows the Lightsabre, some might still be available online.

      For the new bivies, See

      http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters/sortby/relevance/sortdir/asc/

      Pic of a Lightsabre in difficult conditions:

      440.jpg

      (That's not me - I take a tent for snow conditions after trying a bivy once in the snow)

      On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM, o0distorted0o <o0distorted0o@...> wrote:

      What type of shelter, if any, do most people use on the trail?

      I was thinking of bringing a 4.5lb tent... then I realized that I could cut that weight nearly in half by getting a blue tarp and a outdoor research bug bivy from REI.

      So what do you use?

      Thanks!
      CK

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic