      From: Peter Burke <pburke@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 3:19:41 PM
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT Shelter

      On 1/4/2011 4:52 PM, o0distorted0o wrote:
      > What type of shelter, if any, do most people use on the trail?
      >
      > I was thinking of bringing a 4.5lb tent... then I realized that I could cut that weight nearly in half by getting a blue tarp and a outdoor research bug bivy from REI.
      >
      > So what do you use?

      depends on time of year and number of hikers

      early summer - bug proof tent

      mid to late summer - tarp shelter possible, but I still bring the tent:
      it's your home for weeks so having a nice place at night counts more
      than weight for me

      winter - bomb proof 4 season tent

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic