11171Re: solar chargers for GPS

  • manfred_kopisch
    Nov 4, 2010

      Hi David,

      We went this year for three weeks on the trail with a GPS (Garmin Oregon 550) that needed daily a set of AA batteries. In our training hikes we first used a Solio, but that didn't work out for us, because we first needed to charge the Solio and then we needed to charge the AA batteries from the Solio via an adapter and little charger. It took too much time and was a hassle with all the different parts.

      We then got the PowerFilm USB+AA charger. That worked perfectly for us. It charges directly into two AA batteries and allows also to charge devices via USB. When charging via USB it is important to understand that the rechargable AA batteries need to be in the charger and need to have a partial charge. So you won't be able to save the weight of the batteries (1.75 oz) and just bring the charger (4.9 oz), if you are charging via USB.

      Good luck with your hike next year.

      Manfred

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "DAVID" <rachelanddave@...> wrote:

      > I'm planning on doing the JMT next summer in 10 days. I'm a GPS junkie and usually carry my Garmin Forerunner 310xt with me (basically a GPS watch for a runner, not the super-GPS handhelds that most backpackers seem to use). It only holds about 20 hours charge so I figure I'll need to recharge it 4-5 times. I've seen some solar chargers on the market but I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions/experience regarding recharging while on the trail. Any other options beyond solar? Much appreciated.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic