10995Re: [John Muir Trail] Off Season gear maintenance

    Oct 19, 2010
      I like Bob's response on what to do with gear in the off-season (i.e, don't let yourself think there IS an off season), but here are a few other ideas I've stumbled across in the last few years

      1) put your Pemethrin treated clothing in a ziplock freezer bag so that more of the mosquito repellency stays in.  It gradually off-gasses and apparently you can somewhat retard the process by sealing tightly.  Probably will need to re-treat.

      2) If possible, don't compress down.  Let it stay fluffed up in a oversize cotton sack or hanging in a dry closet.

      3) Self-inflating mattresses (e.g., ThermARest ProLite) are apparently best left at least semi-inflated.  NeoAir's and similar should not be folded.  Lay flat, hang free or roll them up.  Do the same with hydration containers after getting them dry as possible.  (I use old-fashioned water bottles but I'm told there are drying products sold for hydration bladders.)

      According to Cascade Designs, [modern air ma tress design] cuts the convective heat loss of other conventional air mattress designs by using a reflective coating and polyurethane coating on the inner nylon core. So the best way to store it is to do as you should with sleeping bags, namely leave it stored flat. The reason for this is that PU coated fabrics stored folded will in time develop some cracking and delamination of the PU at the fold lines. Loose rolling should also work and would take up less room than flat

      When storing a completely dry reservoir, do not fold it. Allow it to lie flat or, if possible, keep it propped open. Creasing the material may spawn cracks in the future as the material ages.

      4) Some of the technical raingear stays more repellent if it is fluffed with low heat in a dryer and allowed to hang rather than be wadded up.  Re-fluff it before start of the hike and probably re-treat with manufacturer's recommended treatment.

      5) Store your boots as clean as possible.  Dirt stuck to the boots can wick away needed oils and moisture out of the boot.  Don't clean them often, but if they are going to be stored for a long time, store them fairly clean.  Don't obsess about it, though.

      Here are some related links from our Links: Equipment area (the question motivated me to update it)

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/caring+sleeping+bag.html

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/rainwear+dwr.html

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/fabric+care.html

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/caring+hiking+boots.html

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/hydration+cleaning.html

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/cleaning+water+bottles.html

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/caring+tent.html

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/washing+goretex+outerwear.html

      I've found the REI "Expert advice" articles often helpful, though I don't always agree with the advice.  You can see them all at

      http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/camping

      (Be sure to click on See All Articles, especially if you see a list limited to about 10 articles)

      On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

      "What does everyone do(if anything) with thier gear during the winter?"

      I use it . . .

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic