10991Re: [John Muir Trail] foot issues on the JMT and looking for a lady named Linda

  • outdoorman2200
    Oct 19 6:44 AM
      The tape is only available online that I know of..30 more miles ugh ..
      well maybe next year ? I think that I might get away with 1 food drop and 22 days ... Ive done it in 20 days with no food drops , but i was young and foolish ... But we carry enough food for 11 days in one shot , and after 11 days im pretty fit and could probably carry a little more weight on the second leg ... To tell you the truth I dont like all of the people i saw on the JMT for the short distance we were on it this year ( 8 miles ) the rest of our 60 mile hike we saw NO ONE ..
      that I like ...anyway is was great to see the muir trail ranch , very interesting and i think it may help us get to Martha lake next year up goddard canyon ...take care

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Linda Reitz <hikejmt47@...> wrote:

      > I was able to pass that great tape on to two more hikers, am thinking the only
      > way to get it is on line. I did have 2 more wonderful weeks on the trail and
      > needed another food drop but it turned out awful. Aparently I neglected to read
      > the posted note at Onion Valley stating not to leave your food cache in the bear
      > boxes at Kearsage Lakes! I did see the notice in the bear box at the lakes but
      > did not want to cary it back out over Kearsage pass...........so when I hiked
      > down to the junction of JMT/ Kearsage I noticed a note for "Linda" and it
      > advised me to pick up my cache at Charlote Lake ranger station where he not only
      > had my stash but a $125 ticket as well. Hard lesson.  The bad news is I ended up
      > leaving the JMT right then and there with a extra 10 lbs of food. Only 30 miles
      > left unhiked on JMT.
      >

      > I remember the days when you could not use bear boxes at Kearsage Lakes as they
      > were reserved for through hikers. Now the opposite is true. In 2009 the rangers
      > had been left to dispose of over 300 lbs of food left by through hikers that had
      > not picked up their cashes, thus the citation. My own vault. wah
      >
      > Happy Trails

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic