1073Re: [John Muir Trail] Back From JMT

  • stevenhmunson
    Jul 29, 2005
      In 2000 we did the stretch from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal
      with no resupply and with the Garcia bear canisters (1 canister per
      person). We could fit about 8 days of food into the Garcia
      canisters with careful packaging, but we still had about 3-4 days of
      food that wouldn't fit. To solve the problem, we took 100 ft. of
      lightweight (but extremely strong) aircraft cable and crimped loops
      into both ends. On the nights that we had food that wouldn't fit
      into the bear canisters, we "hung" our food by throwing the aircraft
      cable over a tall limb (tied to a stuffsack with a rock in it). We
      tied the other end of the aircraft cable to a different tree besides
      the tree that the food was hanging from (not counterbalanced). I
      don't know if our system was tested by any bears or not (we didn't
      hear or see any), but I believe that the bears would have trouble
      seeing or figuring out the aircraft cable. It's really strong and I
      don't think that the bears could gnaw through it even if they
      figured out that it was what was holding the food aloft.

      Just another method to consider - it worked for us.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Miles & Erin Parroco
      <meparroco@g...> wrote:
      > To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves,
      and we are
      > leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
      > We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
      > As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out
      the bear
      > canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite.
      We posted
      > food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
      > So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of
      food.
      > As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4
      bear
      > canisters to fit it all.
      > We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us.
      Are we
      > doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
      > Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles
      >
      > On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > how was the trail? more details ....sheech just like a guy to
      not say
      > > anything else eh? :)
      > > welcome home,
      > > vera
      > >
      > > Frank Martin <sriprank@y...> wrote:
      > > Hey I'm back.
      > >
      > > left Happy Isles 9:30 AM July 13 arrived Whitney Summit 9:30 AM
      July 26.

      > > GREAT HIKE!!!!

      Service.