1060Re: [John Muir Trail] Back From JMT

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Jul 29, 2005
      When we were planning Jane and I were only going to carry one cannister the whole time. Resupply at Reds, VVR & Muir Ranch being the big one before entering the 10 days to the end. We thought we could do it all with that and maybe a bear bag, maybe....just for non essentials. However guys eat more than women do and I have to admit it would have been tight...what do you all think about that plan? We aborted this years hike due to our start date and the bad weather...its on for next year...

      vera

      Miles & Erin Parroco <meparroco@...> wrote:
      To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
      leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
      We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
      As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
      canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
      food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
      So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
      As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
      canisters to fit it all.
      We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
      doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
      Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

      --
      Miles & Erin Parroco

      John muir trail High sierras Alaska outdoors Great outdoors Oregon trail Portland trail blazer ticket