1055Re: [John Muir Trail] Back From JMT

  • Pukkmann@aol.com
    Jul 28, 2005
      In a message dated 7/28/2005 11:30:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      meparroco@... writes:

      To all of those experienced hikers...we are not like yourselves, and we are
      leaving on Monday for our first JMT hike.
      We plan on going from North to South in about 21 days.
      As we are putting together our food we are trying to figure out the bear
      canister thing. We plan on renting them from the park in Yosemite. We posted
      food forward only to one spot (Vermilion Valley).
      So, we have 9 days of food, and then we'll have about 12 days of food.
      As we look at our food we think we'll have to get 3 possibly 4 bear
      canisters to fit it all.
      We have to know if this is ridiculous?!! There are just 2 of us. Are we
      doing something wrong if we need that many canisters?
      Any advice? Thanks! Erin and Miles

      On 7/28/05, Vera Lehmkuhl <vjl_47@...> wrote:

      What I would do is this....pack what you want but remember, you will be in
      Toulomne Meadows after two or three days, there are showers, a store a
      restaurant in the Lodge, a cafe.....then again in Reds Meadow after another 3 or 4
      days there is another store, Restaurant, showers to restock again!!!....so you
      might want to think about lightening up a bit till after Vermillion....also
      at Muir Ranch there is another boat that goes into the resort there to restock
      again if you want....now, from that point to Whitney there are no places to
      restock!!! Have fun, watch the river and creek crossings ( hope you have
      trecking poles ) Expect snow at all the passes, especially Muir Pass!!! Also,
      remember that the Period meteor shower will be going on , check when the best
      nights will be!!!...I hope I surprised you with that one!!!...Doug