Re: yeats/byron.

  • vergil_dgk
    Message 1 of 1044 , Oct 1, 2001
      The trouble with Byron is that he mostly wrote
      very long poems that you can't just jump right into
      (his most important work, I've been told, is "Don
      Juan" which is a long narrative. I've read "Childe
      Harold's Pilgrimage" which is good but goes on and on as
      well).<br> He is most famous today for a handful of short
      lyrical poems: "Maid of Athens", "So We'll go no more
      A-roving", "She Walks in Beauty" and "Stanzas to Music" (I
      think there are a few more) -that is probably a good
      place to start.<br><br> As for Yeats, it is easiest to
      start chronologically. He didn't write many narrative
      poems and most of his work is short, -though the later
      in his life it was written, the harder it is to
      understand (he believed in the oddest things, just take a
      look at "the Phases of the Moon"). I was first
      attracted to Yeats by a couple of small poems: "When you
      Are Old", "He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven", "The
      Lake-isle of Innisfree" and "Who goes with Fergus" (most of
      these poems are marked by Yeats's unhappy infatuation
      with a woman named Maud Gonne, as I understand it he
      was in love with her for 30 years and unhappily, most
      of the time. Many of these poems have traces of "La
      Belle Dame..." in them).<br> His most important volume
      of poetry is called "the Tower" but it takes some
      effort to understand -though a poem like "The Stare's
      Nest by my Window" from a sequence called "Meditations
      in Time of Civil War" is both immediatly appealing
      and disturbing. Especially in this day and
    • summerof1816
      Message 1044 of 1044 , Dec 18, 2002
        That's insane.

        Hello.