My brush with Romantic fame for the week. . .

  • _la_belle_dame_
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2003
      . . . or more like for the year. While this story doesn't directly
      pertain to Keats (rather someone he knew), it's still interesting.

      I'm taking a class on British Romantics right now (it's AMAZING. . .
      I'm so proud of myself for branching out from just Keats!), and
      we're currently reading the works of the great essayists of the
      age. Every so often, my prof brings in some books from his rare
      book collection. So far, we've seen a 4th edition (1805 I think was
      the date) of "Lyrical Ballads," which was pretty exciting. However,
      what he brought in yesterday blows that one completely out of the
      water.

      He had with him a set of three volumes of a novel by Sir Walter
      Scott, I believe it was (I don't remember which). But he opened up
      to the title page and pointed to some faint writing in the corner,
      and said "That signature is Charles Lamb. This was HIS copy." I
      think there was a collective gasp. . . it was pretty exciting.

      Just thought I'd share that little moment :-)