the anniversary of keats's death

  • Abolfazl Ramazani
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2003
      Hi, I am a new member here. Have emailed this to some friends: take a minute to remember the anniversary of keats's death on 23 Feb 1821. He died in Joseph Severn's arms, the man who agreed to accompany him on Keats's journey from England to Rome and was his nurse, confidant, cook, . . . until his death. At the last minute Keats said in paraphrase, 'Severn raise me, thanks God, it [my death] has come.' K. asked that his tombstone be without any epitaph or if any it should be, 'here lies one whose name was writ in water'. For many years his gibers and harsh critics who came to visit his tomb and read the epitaph said in ridicule, 'here lies one whose name was writ in water, and his works in milk and water!'

      Abolfazl

      Abolfazl Ramazani
      Postgraduate research student
      Department of English and Related Literature
      University of York, Heslington, Yo10 5DD
      Email: ar125@y...
      Tel: (44) 1904 433366
      Fax: (44) 1904 433372