CS reviews & more fave Barth discourse

  • Kris Majer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hey there everybody,

      All The Best in 2002, folks! Hope you've had a great New Year's & you're
      still nursing that headache, fixing yerselves some of that hair of the dog
      just like Yours Truly here. There are lots of things that I should have
      done last year but they somehow ended up half-finished, so really the last
      thing I should be doing is reading "Tidewater Tales" with a mug of hot
      coffee. Needless to say that's precisely what I'm doing & responsibility be
      damned!

      First of all, a warm welcome to Psychedelic1994 (how should I address you
      in these posts?). I haven't read CS either, but I posted these reviews to
      show that the critical reaction has really been rather cold. Which will not
      stop me from reading it, of course.

      > Ever since LETTERS, I have been having a hard time with even reading JB.
      > Nevertheless, Sot-Weed Factor is the best novel I have ever read, just
      ahead
      > of Lolita and Women in Love. Giles Goat-Boy is also pretty darn good.

      I can't say that I haven't been enjoying post-LETTERS JB, but you will find
      in me a willing accomplice when it comes to praising Sot-Weed and Giles as
      the definite Barthworks. Giles is actually my favourite, with Sot-Weed hot
      on its heels. My third mots loved, however, comes from that post-1980
      period ("Somebody the Sailor"). And while it's always a pleasure to sail
      the Chesapeake with another JB clone and his young wife, like I'm doing now
      in TT, well, it's nowhere near the pleasures of those Big Fat Early Novels.
      Mind, I enjoyed LETTERS a lot, too. We did a group reading, a rather
      chaotic & disjointed one though still very rewarding (that's why the TT one
      is designed with such great care, the hosting & dates & all) and that
      Monster is also Barth at his best - though, and I've said that before, I
      found that there is more purely intellectual pleasure in the conceit and
      its execution than there is sheer brilliant storytelling, as in Giles,
      Sot-Weed or for that matter Somebody the Sailor.

      > (Incidentally, there is a hard to find article which describes my
      > first meeting with JB on 1/19/1977.

      I'd be interested in taking a look at it & no doubt others would be as
      well. Any chance of a digital version of the piece?

      Take care y'all,

      .K

      --

      Tego nie znajdziesz w zadnym sklepie!
      [ http://oferty.onet.pl ]
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        Dear Kris:

        I tried to scan the article titled "Fact vs. Fiction," but something isn't working. If you want, I can send the article (five pages) to someone's fax and they can post it on the Barth website. Email me if someone has a fax number available.
        Thanks.

        Allan Vorda
        psychedelic1994
        All The Best in 2002, folks! Hope you've had a great New Year's & you're
        still nursing that headache, fixing yerselves some of that hair of the dog
        just like Yours Truly here. There are lots of things that I should have
        done last year but they somehow ended up half-finished, so really the last
        thing I should be doing is reading "Tidewater Tales" with a mug of hot
        coffee. Needless to say that's precisely what I'm doing & responsibility be
        damned!

        First of all, a warm welcome to Psychedelic1994 (how should I address you
        in these posts?). I haven't read CS either, but I posted these reviews to
        show that the critical reaction has really been rather cold. Which will not
        stop me from reading it, of course.

        > Ever since LETTERS, I have been having a hard time with even reading JB.
        > Nevertheless, Sot-Weed Factor is the best novel I have ever read, just
        ahead
        > of Lolita and Women in Love. Giles Goat-Boy is also pretty darn good.

        I can't say that I haven't been enjoying post-LETTERS JB, but you will find
        in me a willing accomplice when it comes to praising Sot-Weed and Giles as
        the definite Barthworks. Giles is actually my favourite, with Sot-Weed hot
        on its heels. My third mots loved, however, comes from that post-1980
        period ("Somebody the Sailor"). And while it's always a pleasure to sail
        the Chesapeake with another JB clone and his young wife, like I'm doing now
        in TT, well, it's nowhere near the pleasures of those Big Fat Early Novels.
        Mind, I enjoyed LETTERS a lot, too. We did a group reading, a rather
        chaotic & disjointed one though still very rewarding (that's why the TT one
        is designed with such great care, the hosting & dates & all) and that
        Monster is also Barth at his best - though, and I've said that before, I
        found that there is more purely intellectual pleasure in the conceit and
        its execution than there is sheer brilliant storytelling, as in Giles,
        Sot-Weed or for that matter Somebody the Sailor.

        > (Incidentally, there is a hard to find article which describes my
        > first meeting with JB on 1/19/1977.

        I'd be interested in taking a look at it & no doubt others would be as
        well. Any chance of a digital version of the piece?

        Take care y'all,

        .K

        --

        Tego nie znajdziesz w zadnym sklepie!