Perseus and his shadow trick

  • Kris Majer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2001
      Hey there,

      Grappling with the Gravity's Monster, but meanwhile having a nice time with
      Chimera. As the title of this message indicates, I want to ask about the
      shadow trick that Perseus (apparently) played on Cetus while setting
      Andromeda free. Barth refers to it on p. 80 (Random House), but this time
      the much famed (and deservedly) "self-explanatory context" doesn't work for
      me. The Greek myths I have are really crappy, and all that Perseus does is
      "defeat" Cetus (nameless, actually, some "sea beast"). The book doesn't even
      mention Sabazius, Ammon or Calyxa, for that matter. Until I get hold of some
      better reference books, any ideas?

      Otherwise, JB virtually gold-showered me last week. A friend bought
      "Tidewater Tales" and "LETTERS" for me in England, so I'm getting them
      pretty soon, and I also managed to obtain "The Friday Book". Wondering if
      maybe we could do a group-read of LETTERS after the Pynchoniacs finish GR.
      How about it? That won't be for another 4 months, approximately, so there's
      plenty of time to think it over.

      Have a nice week / Kris