a pointed barb from another discussion group

  • agrimorfee@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
      I had this exchange at the jumptheshark discussion group (where we
      debate and bitch about Television):

      Subject: Re: [jumptheshark] Post Modern Plotz
      >From: agrimorfee@h...
      >To: jumptheshark@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [jumptheshark] Post Modern Plotz
      >Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:16:14 -0000
      >
      >I've noticed quite a few responses to the Plotz thread about
      >how "that was spoofed on this show" or another. How Post Modern!
      >Because, we the audience knows that the banal and cliched plot line
      >is totally stupid, the writers use the plot line as a basis of humor
      >in lieu of new ideas. Hmmm...sorry to get all erudite, but think
      >about it!
      >
      >It's like the recent novel I've been reading where the author
      >amusingly apologizes throughout the novel about how stupid and
      >pointless some of his plot lines are in the novel, knowing full well
      >how stupid or pointless they are! ("Coming Soon!!!" by John Barth,
      >for the literary curious)

      Ag, why are you wasting your time reading Barth's deconstructions?
      Anyone
      with half a brain has gotten his point by now (and I know you have
      half a
      brain...maybe more -ha ha) Go out and get Steve Martin's Shopgirl.
      In
      paperback now.
      Laura

      I replied (with a link to johnbarth group):
      >I guess 48 other people haven't gotten the joke
      >yet...Call us crazy. :P
    • John Shelby
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
        That may be, but I too recommend Steve Martin's Shop Girl!

        http://shopping.yahoo.com