Re: Do any of you write fiction?

  • Dave Edelman
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2001
      > Do any of you write fiction?

      I think I've mentioned to a few folks before that I am an aspiring
      novelist myself. I actually saved up some dough and quit my (main)
      job a year ago in order to finish my novel.

      I only mention this, of course, because I am hoping to badger you
      all into buying my book if I ever get published. ;)

      And btw... the JB interview came through fine here, clear as day.
      Did anybody check out the interviewer's biography? Turns out he's a
      former Barth student and Johns Hopkinite himself.

      Dave

      Dave Edelman
      dave_edelman@...
      http://www.dave-edelman.com
    • Kris Majer
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
        Well, haven't we always heard that JB is a writers' writer?
        ;)

        I used to write fiction, always emulating my last grand
        inspiration. That was the problem, that I could readily
        trace the writers behind my text, the familiar sentence
        patterns, themes... So I gave it up. I figured since I was
        good at imitating style my best bet was to become a
        translator -work with the texts that already exist, but try
        to rewrite them in my language. And that was roughly when I
        stopped writing.

        Dave says:
        > I only mention this, of course, because I am hoping to
        badger you
        > all into buying my book if I ever get published. ;)

        Yay! No badgering needed. Pray tell some more on't!

        Derik says:
        >I have tried my hand at fiction writing on occasion. Right
        now I am in
        >more of a research phase, reading my way through literary
        history. One
        >can't work in a vacuum so I figured I should know the
        context.

        On the other hand, that might be the ultimate obstacle,
        knowing too many texts. :) During a conference on Irish
        literature held in Lodz about half a year ago, I asked the
        novelist John McGahern, who claimed that a writer should be
        a reader first, if it wasn't too much of a burden. He said
        he wouldn't be here without his parents, would he? I said
        ok, but if these parents are, say, Joyce and Faulkner, one
        has got a hell of a shadow to crawl out of (ok, I didn't
        actually phrase it like that, but somewhere along these
        lines). And he sort of played it down with an anecdote which
        didn't have much to do with what we were talking about. So
        perhaps it's better to exist in a literary void (which is of
        course impossible, but a nice construct nonetheless) and see
        what one comes up with. It would take some Kaspar Hauser...
        I'm interested in this vacuum at least as much as in the
        overwhelming context.

        K.

        --

        Zamow odbitki ze zdjec cyfrowych lub archiwum zdjec na CD!
        [ http://lab.foto.onet.pl/laboratorium.html ]
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
          On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Mark Brawner wrote:

          > It appears we're in the same boat, Derik. You s'pose we're
          > just copping out? Hand me that oar over there...

          Copping out? Nope.

          Kris made some comments about perhaps too much influence/reading and how
          one should write in a void. I really have to disagree with this idea, as I
          think it is important to know what has gone before. Sure, it is said there
          is nothing new to be said, etc., but I think one needs to be aware of what
          has gone before so one can strive better to create the new or at least the
          different.

          Derik A. Badman.

          ---

          "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa
        • agrimorfee@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
            And now Ag chimes in,
            When I went to college, my expressed mode of study was Radio
            Broadcasting as a major and Fiction Writing as a minor (because
            everyone was supposed to back tehn!). I took two fiction writing
            courses and came up with some interesting stuff, but much of it will
            not be viewed to the public. I lost a bunch of stuff on a corrupted
            computer disc 2 years ago (:(, always make a backup!!!!) and have
            said I would write again, but life events have gotten in the way of
            getting anything started again. I even bought Stephen King's "On
            Writing" to try to gdt my mojo working, but as I said, priorities
            have made it fall to the wayside. I directed more of my energies
            recently to my avant-garde music (http://www.mp3.com/Agrimorfee)
            Hopefully, i can get it going again some day--many an author got
            published late in life (ie. in their 30s), no?
          • Kris Majer
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
              Mark sez:
              > I'll have to agree with your disagreement. Enough to
              > acknowledge Bloom's "anxiety of influence," and simply
              deal
              > with it constructively. DFW exorcizing his Barthian
              anxiety
              > with "Westward the Course..." et cet.

              "Simply dealing with it constructively" may not be so
              simple, is all I say... :)

              K.

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:43:19 -0500 (EST)
                Derik <dbadman@...> wrote:

                >Kris made some comments about perhaps too much
                influence/reading and how one should write in a void. I
                really have to disagree with this idea, as I think it is
                important to know what has gone before.

                I'll have to agree with your disagreement. Enough to
                acknowledge Bloom's "anxiety of influence," and simply deal
                with it constructively. DFW exorcizing his Barthian anxiety
                with "Westward the Course..." et cet.
                Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
              • Derik
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                  On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Mark Brawner wrote:

                  > I'll have to agree with your disagreement. Enough to
                  > acknowledge Bloom's "anxiety of influence," and simply deal
                  > with it constructively.

                  Second time in a week this has come up. Care to explain Bloom's idea or
                  point me linkwards. (heh, getting in on the -wards too.)

                  Derik A. Badman.

                  ---

                  "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001

                    http://prelectur.stanford.edu/lecturers/bloom/excerpts/anxiety.html
                    Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                      On Thu, 01 Nov 2001 03:18:23 -0000
                      "Dave Edelman" <dave.edelman@...> wrote:

                      >I think I've mentioned to a few folks before that I am an
                      aspiring
                      novelist myself.

                      St. Sebastian's pincushion! I forgot that I've read some of
                      your stuff and dug it. Look, people:

                      http://www.dave-edelman.com/busride.cfm

                      And Derik too! Look!:

                      http://www.geocities.com/madinkbeard/prose/index.html

                      Anyone else got stuff online?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                        On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Mark Brawner wrote:

                        > And Derik too! Look!:
                        >
                        > http://www.geocities.com/madinkbeard/prose/index.html

                        Oh geez, quick to the server to erase documents!

                        If people do visit my site they should read the essay on David Markson
                        instead of my puerile prose.

                        Derik A. Badman.

                        ---

                        "Stop living and read!" - Fernando Pessoa
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 1, 2001
                          Fair game! It's linked to your Yahoo ID! lol

                          *Twenty-Five (Six) Questions* is oddly akin to the stuff I
                          write and don't how anyone. I like it. Good on ya.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 2, 2001
                            > St. Sebastian's pincushion! I forgot that I've read some of
                            > your stuff and dug it. Look, people:
                            >
                            > http://www.dave-edelman.com/busride.cfm

                            Gulp... Go kindly on me, people, this is the one and only piece of
                            fiction I've actually finished in the past 8 years since graduating
                            college.

                            Unfortunately, the original publishers (the now-defunct Urban
                            Desires) put my story in their "Sex" section with the lurid
                            tagline, "Have you ever had sex in a public place with a stranger?"
                            So for years, anytime you would look up my name in a search engine,
                            you would get something like this:

                            "SEX: Dave Edelman. Have you ever had sex in a public place with a
                            stranger? 'I have a fantasy,' said Lawrence...."

                            How excruciatingly embarrassing.

                            Okay, on a more Barthian note, I have peppered my Barth site with a
                            handful of new stuff that I've dug up. Check out the David Levine
                            caricature of Barth I put on the "Blurbs" page.

                            Dave
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 2, 2001
                              On Fri, 02 Nov 2001 17:13:48 -0000
                              "Dave Edelman" <dave.edelman@...> wrote:

                              >How excruciatingly embarrassing.

                              Oh my! I just about launched a sip of coffee through the
                              left nostril on that one. What demon arranged this
                              exquisite torture for you?

                              > Check out the David Levine caricature of Barth I put on
                              the "Blurbs" page.

                              Hah! Looks like he took a LETTERS-era head and stuck in on
                              the Giles Goat-Boy-era trench coat. I think I approve.

                              -mark
                              Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/