Re: [johnbarth] Re: Force Majer

  • scott wilkerson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2001

      Indeed, the prose is splendid. My favorite moment in the opening gambit is the spectacle of the "pewter light" of the pre-dawn hour!

        Mal McCormack <annemac@...> wrote:

      Re: Once Upon A Time

      I didn't dislike it, I just took a sort of anthropological attitude
      and read it as autobiography.  Not a reliable one necessarily, but
      probably the least misleading we have to date.  I just couldn't read
      it as literature (Tom Johnson's to blame).

      Yeah.  I was a bit turned off by the saccharine pet-names (all
      blanked out) and so forth, but I suppose that was just some expedient
      literary device.  He uses it a lot to good effect in other purely(?)
      novelistic writings eg The Tidewater Tales.

      Don't get me wrong.  The first few pages are just heart-stoppingly
      beautiful, I'd be the first to admit.

      Do You Yahoo!?