today

  • agrimorfee@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2001
      Hello all. Things in U.S. a bit crazy as can be imagined. All is OK
      in Chicago, but no airports opened and all people on heightened
      alert, wondering whether or not more stuff will happen. Federal
      government says "minimal" chance of that. No one I know has been
      affected in New York, Wasingotn DC, or Pennsylvania. More or less
      safe. Let's keep the reading and discussion going, so we can take
      this shit off our minds. Am reading "Tidewater Tales" to pass the
      time in addition to LETTERs and seeing how Barth had incorporated all
      of the elements of history, word games, current events and mythology
      that he had immersing himself in from Letters, Chimera, and
      Sabbatical and gave them a new twist. Would recommend Tideater as our
      next book to read, since Kris I know has not read it yet!
      Fighting the good fight, Agrimorfee.
    • Derik
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2001
        On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 agrimorfee@... wrote:

        > Sabbatical and gave them a new twist. Would recommend Tideater as our
        > next book to read, since Kris I know has not read it yet!

        I have not read Tidewater Tales yet either. It is next on my Barth list.
        Though my other reading list is a rather extensive right now.

        derik.
      • Richard Stock
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 13, 2001
          Sorry, but it's going to take me a couple days to again feel the
          significance of things that are normally of supreme importance to me:
          reading and thinking about what I've read. No one I know was directly
          affected in the attack the day before yesterday, but all the same I'm
          knocked down by this. America (and, presumably, American fiction) will
          never be the same.

          My thoughts are with all those who were directly affected by the attack
          (if anyone on this list was). I wish you peace and strength.

          Rick