Guy reminisces about meeting Barth in '76

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 4, 2013
    • mitra ghaffari
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 4, 2013
        Beautiful! :-) Thanks for sharing! :-)

        From: Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...>
        To: johnbarth@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Monday, February 4, 2013 1:10 PM
        Subject: [johnbarth] Guy reminisces about meeting Barth in '76

        Thought this was fun:

        http://thedoctortjeckleburgreview.com/2013/02/03/beginners-luck-a-non-interview-with-john-barth-by-a-1976-version-of-richard-peabody/

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 30, 2013
        • Mal McCormack
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3, 2013
            This is great news, Mark.  As you know SWF is my favourite Barth novel after LETTERS and was the first of his I read.
            I think it's the sort of thing that e.g. HBO could do very well.  TV series' production values have rocketed in the past few years.
            Now, if only someone would take a crack at Pynchon's Mason & Dixon...

            Cheers,
            Mal

              Funnily, I read the title thread as "Sot-weed ministries is a go...
              Did I subconsciously elevate JB to clerical heights?
              Regarding MD movie project: I couldn't agree more. I have the poster art-work ready!

              chinchin
              Jörgen

              --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Mal McCormack <malmc_y@...> wrote:

              > This is great news, Mark.  As you know SWF is my favourite Barth novel after LETTERS and was the first of his I read.
              > I think it's the sort of thing that e.g. HBO could do very well.  TV series' production values have rocketed in the past few years.
              > Now, if only someone would take a crack at Pynchon's Mason & Dixon...
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Mal
              >

              > ________________________________

            • David M. Elins
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
                Curiosity question:

                Apparently there is a public domain poem called The Sot-Weed Factor written by one Ebenezer Cook around 1700. I found it when I was searching for John Barth Kindle books (couldn't find any).

                David

                I wonder what is its relation to JB's book?

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2013
                  Aha, Jorgen, that reminds me that you and I already had the music for M&D scored about 20 years ago!

                  On David's question, I have a feeling that the poem is overtly referenced somewhere in Barth's SWF, perhaps at the end.  I'll check tonight.

                  Mal

                  On 4/4/13 3:37 PM, Jorgen wrote:

                  Funnily, I read the title thread as "Sot-weed ministries is a go...
                  Did I subconsciously elevate JB to clerical heights?
                  Regarding MD movie project: I couldn't agree more. I have the poster art-work ready!

                  chinchin
                  Jörgen

                  --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Mal McCormack <malmc_y@...> wrote:

                  > This is great news, Mark.  As you know SWF is my favourite Barth novel after LETTERS and was the first of his I read.
                  > I think it's the sort of thing that e.g. HBO could do very well.  TV series' production values have rocketed in the past few years.
                  > Now, if only someone would take a crack at Pynchon's Mason & Dixon...
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Mal
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Malcolm M
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                    I have it.

                    Chapter 32 of SWF chronicles the penning of the poem, and it apparently enjoyed some ephemeral popularity in London.

                    For further information there is a little of Ebenezer Cooke in Wikipedia (not always the most reliable source but handy nonetheless) and of the poem itself.
                    It seems that Barth, a Marylander, became aware of the poem and composed an imaginative romance(!) built around it and its author's trials and triumphs, which were indeed cruelly unbalanced.
                    Apparently relatively little is formally recorded of E. Cooke - he thus becomes an irresistable target for fictionalisation.
                    There is a free ebook of the first edition SWF at archive.org

                    Hope this helps.

                    Mal.

                    --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Elins" <yde88@...> wrote:

                    > Curiosity question:
                    >
                    > Apparently there is a public domain poem called The Sot-Weed Factor
                    > written by one Ebenezer Cook around 1700. I found it when I was
                    > searching for John Barth Kindle books (couldn't find any).
                    >
                    > David
                    >
                    > I wonder what is its relation to JB's book?
                    >

                    > On 4/4/13 3:37 PM, Jorgen wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Funnily, I read the title thread as "Sot-weed ministries is a go...
                    > > Did I subconsciously elevate JB to clerical heights?
                    > > Regarding MD movie project: I couldn't agree more. I have the poster
                    > > art-work ready!
                    > >
                    > > chinchin
                    > > Jörgen
                    > >
                    > > --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com <mailto:johnbarth%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > > Mal McCormack <malmc_y@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > This is great news, Mark. As you know SWF is my favourite Barth
                    > > novel after LETTERS and was the first of his I read.
                    > > > I think it's the sort of thing that e.g. HBO could do very well.Â
                    > > TV series' production values have rocketed in the past few years.
                    > > > Now, if only someone would take a crack at Pynchon's Mason & Dixon...
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers,
                    > > > Mal
                    > > >

                    > > > ________________________________

                  • Jörgen Tang Larsen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 5, 2013
                      Yes
                      Philip Glass’ violin concerto 1
                      ...something about spanish castagnets suggestively played along inner thighs...heralding the arrival of the jesuit on horseback?
                      I actually made a yahoogroup on the idea of the movie.
                      ...its still there.

                      Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 7:43 AM

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 6, 2013
                        Hey, Jorgen,
                        You imagined "the wolf of Jesus" - the mad Jesuit - but I had more in mind M&D galloping off, together in the sun, to the mid-west, that wild and savage land. But would fit either scenario, I guess.
                        It could yet happen!
                        (Might see you in September - if I'm still alive!)

                        Mal.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 21, 2013
                          I'm getting some good ideas for other John Barth (and Pynchon) novels to
                          read from this group.

                          Did anyone else but me like Giles Goat Boy and/or Gravity's Rainbow).

                          /David
                        • Malcolm M
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 21, 2013
                            David,

                            I've long been on record as a fan of everything that Barth and Pynchon have written except each's first two published efforts.
                            But I think that the glory days are behind both of them.
                            Pick of the crop for me are LETTERS and Mason & Dixon. Unsurpassed.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                              Nice to know the list archives are being trawled.

                              I think Giles was my first Barth. Mind immediately blown / hooked.

                              I've made two or three abortive attempts at GR. I think I tend to read it too slowly and anally, and then I get sidetracked by some other book, or just...life. I need to just power through it once and not be overly concerned about what I don't understand.

                              On Jun 21, 2013, at 6:16 PM, "Malcolm M" <malmc_y@...> wrote:

                              > David,
                              >
                              > I've long been on record as a fan of everything that Barth and Pynchon have written except each's first two published efforts.
                              > But I think that the glory days are behind both of them.
                              > Pick of the crop for me are LETTERS and Mason & Dixon. Unsurpassed.
                              >
                              > Mal.
                              >
                              > --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Elins" <yde88@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> I'm getting some good ideas for other John Barth (and Pynchon) novels to
                              >> read from this group.
                              >>
                              >> Did anyone else but me like Giles Goat Boy and/or Gravity's Rainbow).
                              >>
                              >> /David

                            • Jörgen Tang Larsen
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                                “...life. I need to just power through it once and not be overly concerned about what I don't understand. “
                                Yes, exactly!

                                Couldn’t resist it Smiley
                                Jørgen

                                Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:30 PM

                                href="mailto:johnbarth%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:johnbarth%40yahoogroups.com, "David M. Elins" <yde88@...> wrote:

                                >> I'm getting
                                some good ideas for other John Barth (and Pynchon) novels to
                                >> read
                                from this group.

                                >> Did anyone else but me like Giles Goat
                                Boy and/or Gravity's Rainbow).

                                >> /David

                              • David M. Elins
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                                  Hi, Mark -

                                  Giles was my first JB book to, maybe a couple of years after it was released (I'm an old sucker). For  a while I used to try and read Giles and Sot-Weed factor each once a year - though that practice seems to have fallen by the wayside of aging.

                                  I struggled through GR when I was in college. I took one idyllic summer to go to out west, dividing my time between Berkeley and Lake Tahoe.
                                  In Tahoe I tried to become a blackjack counter (failed, but did not lose much) and in Berkeley I divided my time between being a street musician and hanging out at the math library.

                                  That has no bearing on JB, but one of my other projects was to read/decipher Giles Goat Boy. I actually read it in concert with a friend. We would read sections separately and then try to puzzle out what we just read.

                                  One thing I learned from that is to just keep reading. If my mind wandered or I did not get some passage - I just kept going. Eventually some of what he was saying would start to sink in. It took me a while, naive as I was, that one of the major themes is a link between sexual arousal and the German V2 bombing of London.

                                  As you probably know there are other more accessible Pynchon books - in particular the Crying of Lot 49. I've tried to read Mason and Dixon and some of his other stuff - and I'll try again -- but it seems harder to find the time these days.

                                  I've been trying to find electronic copies of these books. I'm not a big fan of e-reading as I think the actual appearance and feel of paper is important and, like dance, the physical act of turning and leafing through pages adds to the understanding and appreciation of the book -
                                  but e-copies are so darned convenient.

                                  /David

                                  On 6/22/13 12:30 PM, Mark Brawner wrote:

                                  Nice to know the list archives are being trawled.

                                  I think Giles was my first Barth. Mind immediately blown / hooked.

                                  I've made two or three abortive attempts at GR. I think I tend to read it too slowly and anally, and then I get sidetracked by some other book, or just...life. I need to just power through it once and not be overly concerned about what I don't understand.

                                  On Jun 21, 2013, at 6:16 PM, "Malcolm M" <malmc_y@...> wrote:

                                  > David,
                                  >
                                  > I've long been on record as a fan of everything that Barth and Pynchon have written except each's first two published efforts.
                                  > But I think that the glory days are behind both of them.
                                  > Pick of the crop for me are LETTERS and Mason & Dixon. Unsurpassed.
                                  >
                                  > Mal.
                                  >
                                  > --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Elins" <yde88@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> I'm getting some good ideas for other John Barth (and Pynchon) novels to
                                  >> read from this group.
                                  >>
                                  >> Did anyone else but me like Giles Goat Boy and/or Gravity's Rainbow).
                                  >>
                                  >> /David

                                • David M. Elins
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                                    On 6/22/13 2:22 PM, Jörgen Tang Larsen wrote:
                                    life. I need to just power through it once and not be overly concerned about what I don't understand

                                    My sentients (sic) exactly.

                                  • David M. Elins
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                                      Mal -

                                      Eventually our glory days are behind us all - except one person (whose name start with J). And there is a lot of controversy about that. I'm afraid mine will pass also, if they have not already, but at least the Internet allows me to make a fool of myself, an option that was not available in the past.

                                      /David

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 22, 2013
                                        Ha! Love it. (Mouths of et cet...)

                                        On Jun 22, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Jörgen Tang Larsen <tang@...> wrote:

                                        “...life. I need to just power through it once and not be overly concerned about what I don't understand. “
                                        Yes, exactly!

                                        Couldn’t resist it <wlEmoticon-smile[1].png>
                                        Jørgen

                                        Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 6:30 PM