Re: [johnbarth] Re: Barth 'Writers House Fellow' @ Penn April 23-24

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
      Yeah, I first heard him comment on that on Bookworm back in 2000.  I still say it with the hard 'G' in my brain voice, just out of force of habit.

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Barbara Schmidt <barbstoo@...> wrote:

      interesting 'pronunciation' question: 'Giles' vs ''Guiles' - American English.
    • Jörgen Tang Larsen
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
        Well, is that (hard g) actually the way its pronounced in US-english?
        BTW i’m watching the thing as i write this...
        jørgen

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
            I'd guess most people probably do prounounce it that way, assuming there's an intended alliteration in the title. But Barth is saying it should be pronounced 'Jiles' presumably regardless of where you're from.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
              Sitting here watching the video, where JB is explaining the fragmented sentences in the serial/cereal-box, it pops into my mind the author Kathy Acker. Is she still around?
              Jörgen

              Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:24 PM

              Yeah, I first heard him comment on that on Bookworm back in 2000.  I still say it with the hard 'G' in my brain voice, just out of force of habit.

              On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Barbara Schmidt <barbstoo@...> wrote:

              interesting 'pronunciation' question: 'Giles' vs ''Guiles' - American English.

            • Blair Mahoney
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                Kathy Acker died from breast cancer way back in 1997.

                It had never occurred to me to pronounce Giles with a hard G. It's always pronounced 'Jiles' around these parts (Australia).

                Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:24 PM