Barth 'Writers House Fellow' @ Penn April 23-24

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 19, 2012
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
        Here are some photos:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/15543694@N06/7111070363/in/set-72157629529286238/

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
          And whaddya know? Some video:

          http://media.sas.upenn.edu/watch/129559

          On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
          > Here are some photos:
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/15543694@N06/7111070363/in/set-72157629529286238/
          >
          > On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
          >> Not to be confused w/ Penn State, where he taught from 1953-1965.
          >>
          >> http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2012-04-19/latest-news/penn-welcomes-john-barth-writers-house-fellow
        • Blair Mahoney
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 25, 2012
            I like how they're all miked up for a room that looks like it has about 20 people in it. Thanks for digging this up, Mark. Always appreciated. Bit busy to watch it all the way through at the moment but I'll have a look when I get a chance.

            On 26/04/2012, at 6:12 AM, Mark Brawner wrote:

            And whaddya know? Some video:

            http://media.sas.upenn.edu/watch/129559

            On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
            > Here are some photos:
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/15543694@N06/7111070363/in/set-72157629529286238/
            >
            > On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
            >> Not to be confused w/ Penn State, where he taught from 1953-1965.
            >>
            >> http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2012-04-19/latest-news/penn-welcomes-john-barth-writers-house-fellow

          • Jörgen Tang Larsen
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
              Right nice , that.
              By the way I’m  reading “Sabbatical”, trying to not fall into MY bay, jumping between POV’s. Sort of like jumping ice floes in Greenland, risky business.
              Jörgen

              Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:12 PM
              Subject: [johnbarth] Re: Barth 'Writers House Fellow' @ Penn April 23-24

              href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/15543694@N06/7111070363/in/set-72157629529286238/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/15543694@N06/7111070363/in/set-72157629529286238/

              href="http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2012-04-19/latest-news/penn-welcomes-john-barth-writers-house-fellow">http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2012-04-19/latest-news/penn-welcomes-john-barth-writers-house-fellow

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                Didja notice the host's New Tammany College t-shirt w/ the little goat(boy?) graphic?  Heh.

                On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Blair Mahoney <b1b2@...> wrote:

                I like how they're all miked up for a room that looks like it has about 20 people in it. Thanks for digging this up, Mark. Always appreciated. Bit busy to watch it all the way through at the moment but I'll have a look when I get a chance.

                On 26/04/2012, at 6:12 AM, Mark Brawner wrote:

                And whaddya know? Some video:

                http://media.sas.upenn.edu/watch/129559

                On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
                > Here are some photos:
                >
                > http://www.flickr.com/photos/15543694@N06/7111070363/in/set-72157629529286238/
                >
                > On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
                >> Not to be confused w/ Penn State, where he taught from 1953-1965.
                >>
                >> http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/current/2012-04-19/latest-news/penn-welcomes-john-barth-writers-house-fellow

              • Barbara Schmidt
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                  interesting 'pronunciation' question: 'Giles' vs ''Guiles' - American English.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                    Yeah, I first heard him comment on that on Bookworm back in 2000.  I still say it with the hard 'G' in my brain voice, just out of force of habit.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                      Well, is that (hard g) actually the way its pronounced in US-english?
                      BTW i’m watching the thing as i write this...
                      jørgen

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                          I'd guess most people probably do prounounce it that way, assuming there's an intended alliteration in the title. But Barth is saying it should be pronounced 'Jiles' presumably regardless of where you're from.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                            Sitting here watching the video, where JB is explaining the fragmented sentences in the serial/cereal-box, it pops into my mind the author Kathy Acker. Is she still around?
                            Jörgen

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 26, 2012
                              Kathy Acker died from breast cancer way back in 1997.

                              It had never occurred to me to pronounce Giles with a hard G. It's always pronounced 'Jiles' around these parts (Australia).

                              Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:24 PM