Re: [johnbarth] Edmund White on Barth

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2012
      On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Mal McCormack <malmc_y@...> wrote:

      Along these lines, it must be about, oh...  15 or 16 years ago I thought I detected in Barth's recenter writings a certain fatigue and loss of vigour, along with increasing gloominess generally on the human condition and particularly on the inevitabilty of personal mortality.  Not nearly as bad as we see in "The Development" for instance, but a somewhat unhealthy fixation on "The Destroyer Of Delights" etc. nonetheless.

      --Severer of Societies! Desolator of-- awright, sorry...love that stuff...

      Impertinently, I wrote (paper, envelope, stamp!) to him gently commiserating on the diverse horrors of ageing (aging - for you North Americans) and hoped he was not in too much discomfort, and, yeah, Life Is A Bitch but what can one do about it?

      (Hey Mal !)

      I, too, comrades, contacted him at the time (this was 1996/7-ish -- the _On With the Story_ unspecifed-terminality frame-story moment). I wrote, basically, an "I love you man, and your latest!" deal, which was received cordially enough, but was then followed, alas, by an ill-conceived follow-up which ended most awkwardly. (I have a history of this cringe-inducing hero-meeting pattern: some in the flesh -- mostly musicians.  I'm an idiot.)

      So, I think we can reasonably expect more to come, others things being equal.

      Mal.

      Yeah, he pretty much said as much in one of those pieces I linked to, I think.  Go Jack!

      Alrighty then,