Re: Biographical research

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2011
      I don't know. Anyone...?

      I do know that he has three children from his first marriage (a
      daughter and two sons, one of whom is the neuroscientist Daniel S.
      Barth).

      Regards,
      Mark

      On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 6:13 AM, Dr. Benjamin P. Lange
      <benlange@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > Would someone be so kind to help me out with a little biographical research
      > I am currently conducting:
      >
      > How many (biological) grandchildren (grandsons and granddaughters) are
      > certain for John Barth? So far, I have found none. Are there any?
      >
      > Many thanks in advance.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Dr. Benjamin P. Lange
      >

      > benlange@...
      > http://www.uni-kassel.de/~benlange
    • Blair Mahoney
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2011
        I got the same request because of my Scriptorium page. I suggested he try contacting the man himself via his new publisher, Counterpoint.

        Has anyone else read the new novel yet? I just finished it and liked it. It felt very comfortably familiar. Nothing groundbreaking.

        I wonder why he's shifted publisher, though, especially as it's explicitly a follow-up to The Development. Did Houghton Mifflin drop him because he's not selling books anymore? I have to say that Every Third Thought has the worst cover design of any Barth novel; it looks awful.

        Cheers,

        Blair

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011
          On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Blair Mahoney <b1b2@...> wrote:

          Has anyone else read the new novel yet? I just finished it and liked it. It felt very comfortably familiar. Nothing groundbreaking.

          I liked it too, but I'm wondering why the Newett/Todds have children in the prior story 'The Bard Award' (from The Development -- "You don't know about me without you have read a little short story series...") but have none in the new novel.  I mean, nothing's by accident with our guy, so dubya tee eff?  Or am I missing something?

          I wonder why he's shifted publisher, though, especially as it's explicitly a follow-up to The Development. Did Houghton Mifflin drop him because he's not selling books anymore?

          I know, huh?  No clue.  The paper is of better quality on this one, I notice, than the last one, apropos of whatevs...

          -Mark