A letter on letters

  • Jorgen
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
      Guess what dudes and dudettes
      This may seem like an all time underachievement, but I actually took down my rather unthumbed copy of Letters and find myself bubbling with mirth at bedtime.
      Just to let ya'll know
      oh and I saw that vid on the JB "memorial" in Dorchester. Great home-video...
      Any signs of other well-knowns in the audience?

      Jørgen
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2010
        Hey Jørgen! Long time no e-!

        We attempted a group read of LETTERS in 2001, if you want to trawl
        around in the archives. I think it started in July. (Spoiler
        alterts!, etc...) So are you heaving around a first edition, or the
        Dalkey paperback or some other version?

        Don't know much more about that Dorchester gathering for Barth. It
        looked to be a pretty small affair. Never heard or read anything
        indicating any other luminaries present.

        Regards,
        Mark

        On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM, Jorgen <jtl@...> wrote:
        > Guess what dudes and dudettes
        > This may seem like an all time underachievement, but I actually took down my rather unthumbed copy of Letters and find myself bubbling with mirth at bedtime.
        > Just to let ya'll know
        > oh and I saw that vid on the JB "memorial" in Dorchester. Great home-video...
        > Any signs of other well-knowns in the audience?
        >
        > Jørgen

      • Jorgen
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2010
          Hi Mark!
          My edition is Dalkey 1994.
          I do know about the group read and i guess it'll be hanging back there in the background in case I fall off the deep end and loose my key...

          I looked at the additional photographs at the flickr site and have my eye on the fella on the 7th photgraph. Green shirt stand to the right of 4 sitting dignitaries. Whadda'ya think mate? Mal? Just for fun , eh?

          Later
          Jørgen
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2010
            On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Jorgen <tang@...> wrote:

            > I looked at the additional photographs at the flickr site and have my eye on the fella on the 7th photgraph. Green shirt stand to the right of 4 sitting dignitaries. Whadda'ya think mate? Mal? Just for fun , eh?

            Ha! If I squint just a little . . .
          • Malcolm M
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 13, 2010
              --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:

              > On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Jorgen <tang@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I looked at the additional photographs at the flickr site and have my eye on the fella on the 7th photgraph. Green shirt stand to the right of 4 sitting dignitaries. Whadda'ya think mate? Mal? Just for fun , eh?
              >
              > Ha! If I squint just a little . . .

              Humph....

              Don't know what you guys are talking about. Can't even find the photos you mention. What is this flickr thing anyway?

              Ah, well.

              Have been through a late midlife crisis in the last 4 years. Life Partners come and go in an astonishingly short time. Changed jobs three times. Have sold a house, rented for an unsatisfactory spell, and bought a new one. Quite like it, actually. Have been made a grandfather twice over!! Both girls.

              Suppose what I'm trying to say is that I've been in profound inertia for quite a while now. What a disgusting indulgence. Think "End Of The Road". Have read nothing but European history, just to compound the depression. But... I am resolved to come back fighting! Mark, Jorgen; expect rude contact.

              Best to all here.

              Mal.
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 17, 2010
                On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Malcolm M <malmc_y@...> wrote:

                > Humph....
                >
                > Don't know what you guys are talking about.  Can't even find the photos you mention.  What is this flickr thing anyway?

                Here's the pic in question -- "you're" the chap in the middle with the
                green shirt:

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/hostourcoast/4730938590/in/set-72157624224015089/

                > Ah, well.
                >
                > Have been through a late midlife crisis in the last 4 years.  Life Partners come and go in an astonishingly short time.  Changed jobs three times.  Have sold a house, rented for an unsatisfactory spell, and bought a new one.  Quite like it, actually.  Have been made a grandfather twice over!!  Both girls.

                So great to hear from ye!

                > Suppose what I'm trying to say is that I've been in profound inertia for quite a while now.  What a disgusting indulgence.  Think "End Of The Road".  Have read nothing but European history, just to compound the depression.  But... I am resolved to come back fighting!  Mark, Jorgen; expect rude contact.

                Can't wait...