Decameron, odyssey, canterbury tales. Which translation?

  • mcleariec
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2009
      Hello,
      can someone please tell me which translations of these books
      barth is referring to? I always read interviews of him saying such great things about these books but never saying which translation
      he's talking about.
      thanks
      cameron
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2009
        For Chaucer I imagine he means the original Middle English rather than
        a modern translation. For the Decameron and Odyssey, I haven't seen
        him mention a specific translation either. But if you're asking for
        your own reading purposes, I have Lattimore's translation of the
        Odyssey and the Signet Classics version of the Decameron (Musa and
        Bondanella) and find them entirely serviceable.

        Side note: when he refers to The 1001 Nights, he means The Book of
        the Thousand Nights and a Night: the Complete Burton Translation with
        the Complete Burton Notes, and the Terminal Index...