Re: Pynchon's IV was Giles, Goat-Boy

  • Josiah Miller
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 11, 2009
      Pynchon's new novel, in my opinion is fantastic and I believe there is definitely a lot more underneath the surface that constitutes a second read or more.  I've been studying Pynchon for awhile and took a class in my undergraduate studies that focused on Pynchon.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) this was before Against the Day came out.  I truly loved Against the Day.  I also loved Vineland a lot as well.  It seems to me everytime I read a Pynchon book, it becomes one of my favorites.  I could probably read CoL 49 now and feel like its one of my favorites or M&D and have the same feeling.  I do have quite a fondness for GR, M&D and AtD though.  I read an Advanced Copy of Inherent Vice and am now reading the book again more slowly (for one I have other books I am reading and am trying to catch up on some Barth novels I missed and I also want to read IV more carefully the second go around).  To me, Inherent Vice is the one I slapped my knee to the most and it had some beautiful lines towards the second half of the book that reminded me of Vineland and AtD.  I knew from all I heard about the book and all the reviews I was reading what to expect so I wasn't let down in the least.  I don't know if Pynchon could ever let me down, I am a huge fan (I even have some Pynchon tattoos).
      There's already an Inherent Vice wiki for those interested, also there are talks about a movie for Inherent Vice being pitched.  There will be a group reading of IV starting in Sept on the Pynchon List.