Re: Unfinished Halves, The Bard Award & a Group Read (?)

  • gryzjer
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 25, 2008
      Just so there isn't any confusion, the last message was from me - i.e.
      Kris - this is my more recent yahoo account. I still haven't worked
      out how to change what is displayed as the sender (so far it's my
      yahoo id), I'll try to work on it now.

    • Glenn Gamblin
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 27, 2008
        Haven't cracked The Development yet, if indeed I ever will.
        From that basically uninformed (and therefore unbiased?) perspective, let me share a story from a different part of my life - a separate, but equal, obsession.

        I started listening to Bob Dylan when I was about 7 old (approximately 1965/66).  I was devoted, obsessed, completely sold-out to the Church of Bob.  And then, in 1979, he released an album called "At Budokan.".  I actually went to the local used record store and sold them ALL of my Bob Dylan lps (yes, I know - a mint-condition mono pressing of Highway 61 Revisited is worth more than $1.00).
        I was livid.  I felt betrayed.  I thought he would probably quit the music business or die or something in the near future.  I didn't see that his genius was merely 'on vacation.'
        ("At Budokan" is still a piece of crap, in my opinion.)
        I didn't start listening to his material again until the Bootleg Series started coming out (1991).  Since then, I've noticed that I missed a lot of great stuff (some not-so-great as well) in the intervening years.  I'm still trying to catch up.

        All of the preceding to remind us: JB still has the talent, the resources, etc., to create a great novel.  It's up to him to put those things to use, but I want to be "in touch" when/if it happens.

      • Josiah Miller
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 27, 2008
          That's a shame.  I actually liked The Development and was going to suggest a group read of it.  The last two stories really wrapped up the whole book.  It shouldn't be taken as a short story collection, since all the stories tie-in together.  I would love to have a read of some Barth though.  I just joined this list a few months ago and would love to participate.

          Thanks,
          Josiah

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 27, 2008
            Josiah wrote:

            > That's a shame.  I actually liked The Development and
            > was going to suggest a group read of it.

            I was hoping that someone would defend the book, so I'm happy that you
            did.. And maybe a group read isn't a bad idea, either - so far nobody
            has volunteered any other title. It's not like I have any more say-so
            than anyone else here. I'd go for Sabbatical if we had a vote, but I
            guess we may read the new one (especially since I've almost completed
            it now) if people would like this.

            > The last two stories really wrapped up the whole book.  It
            > shouldn't be taken as a short story collection, since all the
            > stories tie-in together.

            Yes, I expect so, since JB has never written any collection of loose
            fictional pieces that wouldn't somehow work as fragments of a larger
            pattern. There are cross-references between the stories and there is a
            sense of, well ... development to it, obviously, where it moves from
            the proverbial couple's life in the housing estate to an assisted
            living facility. There are other connections, motifs, patterns
            (although I guess the "so? so nothing" refrain more or less sums up
            their actual relevance - they seem to be merely decorative and/or
            structural and/or attention-grabbing). It is possible that the point
            of the book is revealed in the last thirty pages, but frankly, as far
            as I'm concerned, it would have to be a hell of a point to make up for
            the rest of the stories. I may be horridly wrong in assuming this,
            which I readily acknowledge - but see below.

            > I would love to have a read of some Barth though.  I just joined
            > this list a few months ago and would love to participate.

            Well, first of all, welcome! And please don't let one tired
            'Barth-is-way-past-his-prime' whiner curb your enthusiasm! :) I said
            from the start that my view was biased, because the latest Barth stuff
            just doesn't do the trick for me, and this volume less so even than
            the preceding. I'd be very happy to confront my opinions with yours or
            other people's, and, for that sake, I'd even go back to the shelf and
            read the last two pieces. :) So if a few more people feel like giving
            The Development a group try, why the hell not? :) My "only not the
            Development" tag wasn't very serious. As the newest work, it is
            practically a no-brainer as a group read candidate, isn't it now?

            Once again, welcome aboard and thanks for engaging in discussion on
            the new one. Maybe we could have some more of its assets on the table?
            I've certainly focused on things which got me mad, but I must have
            taken a lot for granted - you know, put it in the 'of course he can do
            THAT, but why would I care to see it done for the hundredth time?'
            category.

            Cheers,

          • kris_majer
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 27, 2008
              Glenn wrote of the great Zimmerman:

              > And then, in 1979, he released an album called "At Budokan.". I
              > actually went to the local used record store and sold them ALL of my
              Bob
              > Dylan lps (yes, I know - a mint-condition mono pressing of Highway 61
              > Revisited is worth more than $1.00).
              > I was livid. I felt betrayed.

              I understand the sentiment, although it's not really that I feel
              betrayed by Barth's recent stuff. And I would never part with my
              copies of his earlier books, no matter what he publishes next. ;)

              > All of the preceding to remind us: JB still has the talent, the
              > resources, etc., to create a great novel. It's up to him to put those
              > things to use, but I want to be "in touch" when/if it happens.

              Yes, I guess that I have a similar attitude, in fact. I've kept up
              with a few of his pieces that I disliked, waiting for another
              masterpiece. But I have to say that my expectations are flagging.
              Talent, I guess, is constant, but energies and ideas do dry up, don't
              they? Both in music and in literature. In fact, I abandoned Dylan
              somewhere in the 90s, not in such a dramatic way as you've described,
              but sort of slowly drifted away. There are other artists that I keep
              counting on to produce another great album and that disappoint me with
              their every new release, and I still hope against hope... But yes,
              keeping in touch with the ones you greatly respect is important, and
              that's basically why I bought and almost read The Development, and
              also why I buy every new thing by Beck or The Cure, even though it's
              been ages since they last did anything that really stirred me.

              But but but, I'd still disagree a bit, because I guess you're implying
              that JB is choosing not to put his best into his writing as of now. I,
              on the other hand, think that he *is* giving it his best, but that he
              has dried up as an artist and is running around in narrower and
              narrower circles. Of course, the circles, the repetitions, the
              obsessions are all a part of his charm, but there used to be other
              parts, other charms somehow: for me it was his ability to tell a
              riveting story, however labyrinthinely (I don't think that's a word)
              and invent rambunctious, memorable characters or parodies of characters.

              He's done a great job in his day and given us a lot of great stuff to
              think about and enjoy. I said years ago here that JB's problem seems
              to be his resolve that the Destroyer of Delights should catch him
              between subject and verb, which attitude negates the option of simply
              deciding to remain quiet. I don't necessarily mean that I'd want him
              to remain quiet, only that there seems to be a certain relentlessness
              about his productivity that scares me a little - you know, this desire
              to fill the silence when sometimes it would perhaps be best to let the
              silence be, because it would make his stronger work stand out all the
              better against it. I know a lot of people disagree with me on that.

              Well, anyway. I'm sure I've argued all this before. Meanwhile, I'm
              happy that there are both detractors and supporters of the book!

            • Blair Mahoney
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 27, 2008
                It's nice to see the list come out of hibernation!

                I too will stick up for The Development. I understand your criticism
                of it Kris. I just don't get the same sort of excitement from reading
                Barth that I used to. I do still get a lot of pleasure from his work,
                though. It's familiar, yet satisfying. I didn't read all of the
                characters in The Development as being the same; I thought there were
                some interesting variations between them, even if most of them are
                drawn from a similar grouping, as is inevitable when you're writing
                about the sort of retirement community that he is. My favourite story
                in the collection is actually 'Toga Party', the ending of which
                genuinely shocked me.

                I've enjoyed the last few efforts from our man. In fact, the last one
                I didn't really like at all was his last novel, Coming Soon!!! I've
                liked what he's done with his shorter works in his later life, after
                so many years writing lengthy novels.

                Cheers,

                Blair
              • John Shelby
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 27, 2008
                  It's been a while since I've been through Tidewater Tales, so I may be way off, but as I was reading these last few posts, I was put in mind of Peter Sagamore.  To the extent (if any) that he represents Barth, his struggle against the logical consequences of Less Is More kind of mirrors what Kris said: <<that he has dried up as an artist and is running around in narrower and narrower circles.>>

                  Perhaps Barth has trapped himself.  I have found much of the 21st-century work (since Coming Soon!!!--[oh, how those exclamation points truly resonated with my excitement that a new Barth novel was being published; alas, how little the novel resonated with me!]) to be nearly unreadable. When I look back on what I've read of this period, all I remember is the catch-phrase quality of so much of it.  Barth's turn of phrase is a big part of the pleasure.  But once the phrase has been turned, so to speak, to keep doing it again and again is, well, redundant.  It just becomes cute, there's no fresh insight.

                  I've been thinking that it would be nice to be reminded of how it all developed.  To that end, here's my grand proposal for the group read:  What about going back to the beginning, more than 50 years now, and group-read the whole oeuvre?  Let's start with The Floating Opera and read everything up through The Development or, more likely, whatever the next one is by the time we get that far!!!

                  People would drop in and out of the read as we go through a book they don't want to do, but then the next book will come along.

                  In fact, maybe we should try to make this a permanent feature of the group.  We can always be doing a group read.  When we finish the latest one, we'll go back to The Floating Opera and start it around again!

                  By the way, I, too, am a big Dylan fan.  But when there is so much material out there, it's not all going to be gold.  I was also reinvigorated by the release of, especially the first, Bootleg Series.

                  John

                • Елена Тарнаруцкая
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 28, 2008

                    Hi I'm so glad the group has woken up!
                    I agree with John on read JB from the beginning as it would help see what he calls reprise and which is probably important in his following books. Elena

                  • kris_majer
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 28, 2008
                      John wrote:

                      > It's been a while since I've been through Tidewater Tales, so I may
                      > be way off, but as I was reading these last few posts, I was put in
                      > mind of Peter Sagamore.

                      I guess that the artist exhausting and then replenishing himself by
                      some kind of self-reflexive trick or other has been one of JB's grand
                      themes in and out of his fiction, and it was all right as long as it
                      lasted, I'd say - as long as the work in question was living proof of
                      the energy that has been restored. To my mind (and a few others' here,
                      it seems) the replenishment has simply fallen off as part of the
                      equation, although the works still claim that it's there...

                      > Barth's turn of phrase is a big part of the pleasure.  But once the
                      > phrase has been turned, so to speak, to keep doing it again and
                      > again is, well, redundant.  It just becomes cute, there's no fresh >
                      insight.

                      I honestly couldn't agree more, unfortunately.

                      > To that end, here's my grand proposal for the group read:  What
                      > about going back to the beginning, more than 50 years now, and
                      > group-read the whole oeuvre?

                      Wow! This is a grand proposal indeed, and exciting. I know some of you
                      dislike the early stuff, but I've always been fond of Opera, as well
                      as The End of the Road (possibly because it was the first JB book I
                      read). That sentiment gone, I might enjoy them less now, but I haven't
                      looked into them for ten years. Frankly, as long as the pace is
                      leisurely, and I can squeeze a JB novel in between books I read with
                      my students and things I read on my own for academic purposes, I'd be
                      all for it. I've always thought it would be a nice idea to read all of
                      his output straight through. Of course, what such a big project needs
                      is at least five-ten people who'd be its backbone and oversee it
                      somehow (set the dates, do the hosting, etc), and I could perhaps do
                      some of it for some of the books, but not permanently... Let's see
                      what people say to this.

                      > In fact, maybe we should try to make this a permanent feature of
                      > the group.  We can always be doing a group read.

                      This, in fact, sounds like an ideal JB group activity, but may be more
                      than a little tricky. Would we also print all of his work on a
                      gigantic roller towel? :)

                      > By the way, I, too, am a big Dylan fan. But when there is so much
                      > material out there, it's not all going to be gold.

                      Yup, which is why I sometimes wish they'd hold back a bit, sit on the
                      material longer and release something better instead...

                      Best,

                    • kris_majer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 28, 2008
                        Blair wrote:

                        > I too will stick up for The Development.

                        I'm glad!

                        > I just don't get the same sort of excitement from reading
                        > Barth that I used to. I do still get a lot of pleasure from his work,
                        > though. It's familiar, yet satisfying.

                        My problem is that I'm stuck with the familiarity, while the
                        satisfaction almost never arrives...

                        > I didn't read all of the
                        > characters in The Development as being the same; I thought there were
                        > some interesting variations between them, even if most of them are
                        > drawn from a similar grouping, as is inevitable when you're writing
                        > about the sort of retirement community that he is.

                        I might have exaggerated for the sake of the argument, but I had a
                        feeling that they spoke in the same voice (which, as we know, is the
                        criticism that one of the faux editors of the New Syllabus makes...
                        which makes the whole issue slippery). Also, many characters I felt
                        were very sketchily drawn, which made telling them apart such a
                        difficulty in "Progressive Dinner". And I didn't think they were
                        'flat-for-the-sake-of-flat' characters, nor did JB seem to tamper with
                        characterization conventions much; they seemed sloppily made and
                        unremarkable.

                        > My favourite story
                        > in the collection is actually 'Toga Party', the ending of which
                        > genuinely shocked me.

                        I enjoyed parts of that one, thanks for reminding me. Isn't the ending
                        shocking, though, partly because the Feltons don't seem to 'be the
                        types' and because the urgency of their problem is not really
                        communicated until the very end? But yes, Toga Party I'd say was my
                        second favorite after Bard Award.

                        > I've enjoyed the last few efforts from our man. In fact, the last one
                        > I didn't really like at all was his last novel, Coming Soon!!! I've
                        > liked what he's done with his shorter works in his later life, after
                        > so many years writing lengthy novels.

                        Thanks, Blair, for bringing some balance to the discussion. I remember
                        liking CS!!! when it came out, but at the time I was still at a stage
                        when I'd swallow pretty much anything by JB. Haven't read it since
                        then, but from what I remember of it it'd probably fall in with the
                        efforts I don't enjoy much.

                        Me, I'm still waiting for a lengthy novel in which gated Old Fart
                        communities are only marginal. ;)

                      • Glenn Gamblin
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 28, 2008
                          John Shelby wrote:

                          > I've been thinking that it would be nice to be reminded of how it all
                          > developed. To that end, here's my grand proposal for the group read:
                          > What about going back to the beginning, more than 50 years now, and
                          > group-read the whole oeuvre? Let's start with The Floating Opera and
                          > read everything up through The Development or, more likely, whatever
                          > the next one is by the time we get that far!!!
                          >
                          > People would drop in and out of the read as we go through a book they
                          > don't want to do, but then the next book will come along.
                          > John
                          >
                          > .
                          > Seconded!!

                        • william.street42
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 9, 2009
                            I certainly enjoyed The Development, and I had read most of the stories
                            preiously, when they were published in various literary magazines.
                            The way in which the stories formed a coherent whole--something more
                            than simply a story collection--something which I had anticpated as I
                            read the individual stories over tha past few years-was excellent. I
                            am not a fan of the idea that there are "two Barths"--one who wrote The
                            Sot Weed Factor and Giles Goat Boy, and a different one who worte
                            Coming Soon!. Rather, I think that there is one John Barth, who
                            changed and developed over the years, in a way that self-conciously
                            remained aware of his earlier manifestations. His entire body of work,
                            taken as a whole, is quite fascinating. I stayed up most of a night
                            reading The Development, and it made me want to reread my Barth
                            favorites: Tidewater Tales and Somebody the Sailor. I shall probably
                            get to them in May.
                            Bill
                          • Josiah Miller
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 9, 2009
                              William,
                              I do believe you are right in saying:  "I am not a fan of the idea that there are "two Barths"--one who wrote The Sot Weed Factor and Giles Goat Boy, and a different one who worte
                              Coming Soon!. Rather, I think that there is one John Barth, who changed and developed over the years, in a way that self-conciously remained aware of his earlier manifestations."

                              John Barth, as I believe all great writers should be taken as a whole.  If you look at the scope of his work, I don't believe you'll really find a breaking point in his writing career.  I think you'll find a definite progression - just like someone's experiences and maturity through life - there is definitely in aspect of progression and maturity in his work.  You'll find this in writers like Thomas Pynchon as well.  Against the Day and Mason and Dixon were definitely older and more mature than Gravity's Rainbow and Col49.  I believe John Barth is absolutely aware of the directions his writing has taken.  He knows The End of the Road, Giles Goat Boy, The Letters, Chimera, Tidewater Tales, Where Three Roads Meet and now The Development.   There is definitely a considerable difference from one work to the next.  The Development is a pinpoint in the John Barth timeline, by this I mean that by reading the Development you can see what concerns and is most important to John Barth at the time of his writing.  This novel is definitely an older novel.  It should not be read by any means like you would read Giles Goat Boy or Sot Weed, but it should not be read like you would read Coming Soon or Where Three Roads Meet either.  This is completely new and fresh and I think he has very fresh ideas and a fresh way of writing, while keeping the "Barthness" about the work.  It is shown in - I believe its the Bard Award - the narrator's interactions with his student and with his wife and I feel this shows where Barth is now as a writer.  Not saying that he's ever had relations with a student or anything (that is not up to me to speculate or look at as an autobiographical aspect), but as a writer in one generation looking at writers in the next generation.

                              Josiah

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 14, 2009
                                On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:49 AM, william.street42
                                <william.street@...> wrote:

                                > I certainly enjoyed The Development, and I had read most of the stories
                                > preiously, when they were published in various literary magazines.

                                I also had read two or three of them before (from Subtropics and
                                another organ that escapes me). Oh, and also Toga Part in Best
                                American Short Stories 2007. But I was distracted at the time and
                                have enjoyed settling down with the volume proper. I've going pretty
                                slowly and haltingly because my reading time is so limited recently,
                                but I'm through the first three and am enjoying myself.

                                > The way in which the stories formed a coherent whole--something more
                                > than simply a story collection--something which I had anticpated as I
                                > read the individual stories over tha past few years-was excellent.

                                I've already got a whiff of this as I proceed, and look forward to
                                seeing how the effect further strikes me as I read through to the end.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 14, 2009
                                  On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Blair Mahoney <b1b2@...> wrote:
                                  >My favourite story in the collection is actually 'Toga Party', the ending of which
                                  > genuinely shocked me.

                                  I cried a little.