JB in Tehran Times

    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2008
      This is a weirdly structured article, but the two salient paragraphs are:

      "The Persian translation of Barth's book "The Floating Opera" released
      by the Qoqnus publishing company in Iran, has recently won Once Upon a
      Time Literary Award in the Non-Iranian section.

      "In a letter to the Qoqnus publishing company, American novelist John
      Barth has asked Iranian publishers to publish the copyrighted books
      only with the permission of the copyright owners."

      http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=169066
    • M. Sedaghat Payam
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2008
        Hi Mark
        Thanks a lot for the link. I have seen this translation and honestly speaking I believe it is just awful. I wonder how they have decided to give its translator the first prize.
        My translation of Barth is soon going to be published in Iran too. I have tried to find the address of John Barth in internet, but he even doesn't have an official site, so I wonder how can I ask for his permission so that I delay the publication of that book until I have got his official permission.

        I would be much obliged if you can help me with that.

        Regards
        Mehdy

        P.S. I have translated Dunyazadiad, Lost in Funhouse (just the title short story, not the whole collection), and Life-story.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2008
          Try writing him at his latest publisher, Houghton Mifflin:

          John Barth
          c/o Houghton Mifflin Company, Trade Division
          Adult Editorial, 8th Floor
          222 Berkeley Street

          Boston, MA 02116-3764

          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 2008
            Thanks a lot Mark,

            I will do it right away.

            Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@ gmail.com> wrote:
            This is a weirdly structured article, but the two salient paragraphs are:

            "The Persian translation of Barth's book "The Floating Opera" released
            by the Qoqnus publishing company in Iran, has recently won Once Upon a
            Time Literary Award in the Non-Iranian section.

            "In a letter to the Qoqnus publishing company, American novelist John
            Barth has asked Iranian publishers to publish the copyrighted books
            only with the permission of the copyright owners."

            http://www.tehranti mes.com/index_ View.asp? code=169066

          • Monica & Daniela Cosma