Barth & Doubleday?

  • bandini3383
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 18 6:30 AM
      I'm working on a paper about somewhat canonical American postmodernist
      authors and their relationship to publishing houses. The paper's main
      question, I suppose, is this: to what extent did mainstream acceptance
      of postmodern literary practice stem from publishing decisions (most
      specifically, publicity)?
      Anybody know much about Barth and Doubleday or why Barth leaves
      Doubleday for Random House? Thanks to some of the materials attached
      to this site, I know he began working with Edward Aswell & how well
      each of the books from "Floating Opera" through "Chimera" (the texts
      I'm interested in) sold. Beyond that, I don't have much....anybody
      have any leads you might offer?
      Thanks.
    • Mal McCormack
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23 4:01 AM
        Bandini...

        At some point Barth commits to paper his long experiences with his
        various publishers; quite frank and entertaining it is, too.

        I fancied it it was in Further Fridays, or perhaps The Friday Book.
        But I've skimmed both of them tonight and can't find it. (I've sort of
        slid off Barth for a couple of years, momentous personal events,
        trying to get back in if I ever now find the time.)

        But it's there, somewhere!

        Can some of the sharper members here help out more?

        Cheers.

        Mal.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23 1:24 PM
          On 4/18/08, bandini3383 <bandini3383@...> wrote:
          >Thanks to some of the materials attached
          > to this site, I know he began working with Edward Aswell & how well
          > each of the books from "Floating Opera" through "Chimera" (the texts
          > I'm interested in) sold.

          Which materials are those?

          And how well did they [Opera through Chimera] sell?

          Thankee,
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23 1:26 PM
            On 4/23/08, Mal McCormack <malmc_y@...> wrote:
            > Can some of the sharper members here help out more?

            The only thing I can think of is his discussion of Appleton Century
            Crofts in the Anchor preface to The Floating Opera.

            Did he really do an extended treatment of his various publishers?
          • Mal McCormack
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
              --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "bandini3383" <bandini3383@...> wrote:

              > I'm working on a paper about somewhat canonical American postmodernist
              > authors and their relationship to publishing houses. The paper's main
              > question, I suppose, is this: to what extent did mainstream acceptance
              > of postmodern literary practice stem from publishing decisions (most
              > specifically, publicity)?
              > Anybody know much about Barth and Doubleday or why Barth leaves
              > Doubleday for Random House? Thanks to some of the materials attached
              > to this site, I know he began working with Edward Aswell & how well
              > each of the books from "Floating Opera" through "Chimera" (the texts
              > I'm interested in) sold. Beyond that, I don't have much....anybody
              > have any leads you might offer?
              > Thanks.

              Reopening this pretty old thread, hope Bandini still finds it helpful...

              Just back from a holiday in the sun, where I re-read "Once Upon a
              Time". In my Sceptre paperback edition (1995) pages 296 - 298 (Act 2)
              list Barth's various publishers and editors up to 1994, with wry
              commentary, and addressing some of the points Bandini's specifically
              worrying about.

              Cheers

              Mal