Night-Sea Journey

  • william.street42
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2008
      I have taught "Night-Sea Journey," as well as other Barth stories
      (sometimes all of LitF) to high school seniors at a small independent
      school in Danbury, CT, for many years as a part of a Philosophy of
      Religion course. "Night-Sea Journey," once one gets past the comic
      possibilities of the extended metaphor (which the students love) has
      some interesting speculation about the nature of the divine, the
      existential situation of the individual, and the relationship between
      the two.

      The school has quite a diverse religious community, including
      observant Christians, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, and Sikhs, atheists who
      reject everything God-related, and many people in between. The
      class, and the story, have been well-received by students and
      families alike (I once had a complaint from a Hindu family who
      thought the course was too Judeo-Christian oriented, but it had
      nothing to do with "N-S J"). The students identify the course as
      unlike others in that "we are not told to believe everything we
      read." "Night-Sea Journey," as well as other LitF stories also work
      well for showing the students that there is fun fiction written for
      adults.

      I say, On With the Story!

      WLS