Night Sea Journey

  • James McKeogh
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
      Hey all, two quick questions.  One, approx how many pages is John Barth's "Night Sea Journey,"  i don't have my "LitFH" handy.

      Also, do you think it would be appropriate to teach this short story to highschool seniors, in a fairly liberal Prep School?

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
        On 2/21/08, James McKeogh <jhmckeogh@...> wrote:

        > Hey all, two quick questions. One, approx how many pages is John Barth's "Night Sea Journey," i don't have my "LitFH" handy.

        Eleven pages.

        > Also, do you think it would be appropriate to teach this short story to highschool seniors, in a fairly liberal Prep School?

        In my opinion, a resounding Yes!
      • M. Sedaghat Payam
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2008
          In reply to the second question I have to say that you need to know how liberal they are toward this matter. I wouldn't do it if I were in your shoes, because still some parents would think that this must be an erotic story, because of its narrator.

          Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
          On 2/21/08, James McKeogh <jhmckeogh@yahoo. com> wrote:

          > Hey all, two quick questions. One, approx how many pages is John Barth's "Night Sea Journey," i don't have my "LitFH" handy.

          Eleven pages.

          > Also, do you think it would be appropriate to teach this short story to highschool seniors, in a fairly liberal Prep School?

          In my opinion, a resounding Yes!

        • Blair Mahoney
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 22, 2008
            I think it would be great to teach, and I'm planning to teach some Barth to my year 10 students this year (equivalent of high school sophomores?). I wouldn't have any problems with "Night Sea Journey" at my school, but the teaching environment here in Australia is probably a bit different to the US (is that where you are?). There was the case of the teacher being sacked for giving a student a Daniel Clowes comic late last year...

            On 22/02/2008, at 12:51 AM, James McKeogh wrote:

            Hey all, two quick questions.  One, approx how many pages is John Barth's "Night Sea Journey,"  i don't have my "LitFH" handy.

            Also, do you think it would be appropriate to teach this short story to highschool seniors, in a fairly liberal Prep School?

            Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.