Re: [johnbarth] request

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2008
      Hello.

      See attached.

      Regards,
      Mark

      On 1/22/08, ileanacapan <ileanacapan@...> wrote:
      > hi, I am new on this group.
      > I need some help from you.
      > Does anybody have an electronic version of "the floating opera"?
      > I did not find anything on the internet and maybe some of you have
      > this book.
      >
      > Thanks
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James McKeogh
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21 5:51 AM
        Hey all, two quick questions.  One, approx how many pages is John Barth's "Night Sea Journey,"  i don't have my "LitFH" handy.

        Also, do you think it would be appropriate to teach this short story to highschool seniors, in a fairly liberal Prep School?

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21 9:09 AM
          On 2/21/08, James McKeogh <jhmckeogh@...> wrote:

          > Hey all, two quick questions. One, approx how many pages is John Barth's "Night Sea Journey," i don't have my "LitFH" handy.

          Eleven pages.

          > Also, do you think it would be appropriate to teach this short story to highschool seniors, in a fairly liberal Prep School?

          In my opinion, a resounding Yes!
        • M. Sedaghat Payam
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21 11:06 PM
            In reply to the second question I have to say that you need to know how liberal they are toward this matter. I wouldn't do it if I were in your shoes, because still some parents would think that this must be an erotic story, because of its narrator.

            Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
            On 2/21/08, James McKeogh <jhmckeogh@yahoo. com> wrote:

            > Hey all, two quick questions. One, approx how many pages is John Barth's "Night Sea Journey," i don't have my "LitFH" handy.

            Eleven pages.

            > Also, do you think it would be appropriate to teach this short story to highschool seniors, in a fairly liberal Prep School?

            In my opinion, a resounding Yes!

          • Blair Mahoney
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22 2:51 AM
              I think it would be great to teach, and I'm planning to teach some Barth to my year 10 students this year (equivalent of high school sophomores?). I wouldn't have any problems with "Night Sea Journey" at my school, but the teaching environment here in Australia is probably a bit different to the US (is that where you are?). There was the case of the teacher being sacked for giving a student a Daniel Clowes comic late last year...

              On 22/02/2008, at 12:51 AM, James McKeogh wrote:

              Hey all, two quick questions.  One, approx how many pages is John Barth's "Night Sea Journey,"  i don't have my "LitFH" handy.

              Also, do you think it would be appropriate to teach this short story to highschool seniors, in a fairly liberal Prep School?

              Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.