LITF in a new anthology

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2007
      Lost in the Funhouse appears in a new anthology from Simon & Schuster
      called The Worst Years of Your Life. I can't really tell who the
      target market/audience is, but here you go.

      ============
      ". . .the "awkward years" of 11 to 15 are those where these feelings
      [anger, fear, dread, etc] are at their peak. Looking back on those
      years has allowed scores of writers to navigate emotional mine fields
      with the result being a lot of great short stories and novels.

      "[Mark Jude] Poirier sensed this and put together this anthology,
      which collects 20 previously published stories from writers like
      George Saunders, John Barth, Jim Shepard, A.M. Homes and Julie
      Orringer."

      http://www.tirbd.com/2007/08/new-books-explore-adolescence.html
    • M. Sedaghat Payam
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2007
        Thank you Mark for updating us here. That is a great title: The Worst Years of Our Lives. Thanks to your message I went and reread some of my favorite stories in that collection including the title story in which Ambrose is in that awkward age.

        When I was reading Life-story I came upon a phrase which I couldn't understand it this time either. It was "Ed' pelut' kondo nedode; nyoing nyang." Does anyone know what is this and what does it mean?

        By the way I am reading House of Leaves and that is fantastic.

        Regards
        Mehdy

        Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@...> wrote:
        Lost in the Funhouse appears in a new anthology from Simon & Schuster
        called The Worst Years of Your Life. I can't really tell who the
        target market/audience is, but here you go.

        ============
        ". . .the "awkward years" of 11 to 15 are those where these feelings
        [anger, fear, dread, etc] are at their peak. Looking back on those
        years has allowed scores of writers to navigate emotional mine fields
        with the result being a lot of great short stories and novels.

        "[Mark Jude] Poirier sensed this and put together this anthology,
        which collects 20 previously published stories from writers like
        George Saunders, John Barth, Jim Shepard, A.M. Homes and Julie
        Orringer."

        http://www.tirbd. com/2007/ 08/new-books- explore-adolesce nce.html

        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

      • Michael Mullendore
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20, 2007
          He uses the same phrase in Glossolalia and attributes it in the author note to, " Mme Alice LeBaron, who acquired some fame in 1879 from her exolalic inspirations in the 'Martian' language."  I believe at one point I tried to research if there was any more meaning other than that and was unsuccessful.

          Mike

          Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@ gmail.com> wrote:
          Lost in the Funhouse appears in a new anthology from Simon & Schuster
          called The Worst Years of Your Life. I can't really tell who the
          target market/audience is, but here you go.

          ============
          ". . .the "awkward years" of 11 to 15 are those where these feelings
          [anger, fear, dread, etc] are at their peak. Looking back on those
          years has allowed scores of writers to navigate emotional mine fields
          with the result being a lot of great short stories and novels.

          "[Mark Jude] Poirier sensed this and put together this anthology,
          which collects 20 previously published stories from writers like
          George Saunders, John Barth, Jim Shepard, A.M. Homes and Julie
          Orringer."

          http://www.tirbd. com/2007/ 08/new-books- explore-adolesce nce.html

          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

        • Blair Mahoney
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
            Our man is getting some love from Edward Champion in this blog entry:

            http://www.edrants.com/?p=6583

            Nice to see, although it looks like he has plenty of Barth reading to
            do yet...
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 22, 2007
              On 8/22/07, Blair Mahoney <b1b2@...> wrote:
              > Our man is getting some love from Edward Champion in this blog entry:
              >
              > http://www.edrants.com/?p=6583
              >
              > Nice to see, although it looks like he has plenty of Barth reading to
              > do yet...

              Yeah, there's a dozen or more nits to pick in there, but 'Yay!' anyway.