Re: [johnbarth] Barth on Borges and Calvino

  • scott wilkerson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2000
      Splendid. I recall my first encounter with Calvino's
      Cosmicomics in an immense used bookstore in LA, The
      Cosmopolitan; it was shelved next to a paperback of
      Pynchon's V in which I found an address, which turned
      out to be the former residence of Anais Nin - during
      her LA sojourn. And I was struck at the time by how
      fully I had been prepared for Calvino by my earlier
      encounters with Borges (as Borges seemed (at least at
      the time) to have been rather better anthologized))
      and, of course, Barth's references to him in the
      Friday Book. Indeed, I felt then as now, that Barth
      and Borges and Calvino and others in this trajectory
      were all part of some larger not-quite-discernable
      meta-narrative, of which this list is most certainly a
      central thread!

      http://www.centerforbookculture.org/context/no1/barth.html

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/