[johnbarth] LETTERS

  • Derik
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2001
      I am gonna have to face facts and say I probably will not be able to
      continue reading LETTERS. I just have way too many other things on my
      plate right now. But I will keep watching and see if there is anything I
      can add.

      derik a. badman.
      http://www.geocities.com/madinkbeard
    • Kris Majer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11, 2001
        Derik (unfortunately) quoth:

        >I am gonna have to face facts and say I probably will not be able to
        >continue reading LETTERS.

        Now that's a shame, but make sure you stay on and keep in touch. I was
        looking forward to your comments...

        >I guess I am not a 'decent student' (whatever the hell you mean by that)
        cause I have never heard of Federman.

        http://www.federman.com/ and definitely check out "Smiles on Washington
        Square" as well.

        Kris

        --

        Zaloz swoj elektroniczny portfel
        OnetPortfel [ http://portfel.onet.pl/ ]
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2001
          Dang! Thought I was ahead with LETTERS and slackened my reading pace for the
          past two days (mostly due to playing Thief: The Dark Project), and here's
          Agrimorfee with comments on 2:E!
          OK, will finish it tonight and be back here tomorrow.

          Kris

          --

        • agrimorfee@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2001
            --- In johnbarth@y..., "Kris Majer" <stonk@f...> wrote:
            > Dang! Thought I was ahead with LETTERS and slackened my reading
            pace for the
            > past two days (mostly due to playing Thief: The Dark Project), and
            here's
            > Agrimorfee with comments on 2:E!
            > OK, will finish it tonight and be back here tomorrow.
            >
            > Kris

            I must sheepishly admit, Kris, that I have been glossing over the
            Cooke/Burlingame letters which I find a drag. And 4-6 months ago, I
            made an experiment to only read the Pitt letters to see if they could
            stand on their own (they do sort of), so that is still pretty much
            fresh in my mind. Finally, I had just begun reading solely the
            Ambrose letters for the same reason, and had stopped in the middle
            of "A Cure For Cancer" last month! This should explain my
            speediness. Hope I didn't scare you all, I probably have as much of
            a hectic schedule as you. :)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2001
              >I must sheepishly admit, Kris, that I have been glossing
              over the
              Cooke/Burlingame letters which I find a drag.

              Hm. Well, I may as well admit with some embarrassment that
              I've been attempting to coast along based on my reading of
              "L" from late last year (while at the same time trying
              furiously to catch up in the re-reading).

              I'd forgotten all about this second revolution business
              (Bray's letter is coming back to me now). Thanks for
              helping me out, Kris.

              Let's take this kind of slow at first. We need to hear from
              Mal, who mentioned a while back that he was behind schedule
              too. It's only about 90 pages. I'll be completely up to
              speed in about a day or so. There's so much to comment on.

              And of course we await feisty Mark D.'s efforts to advance
              the discussion!
              Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
            • Kris Majer
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                Agrimorfee sez:
                >I must sheepishly admit, Kris, that I have been glossing over the
                >Cooke/Burlingame letters which I find a drag. And 4-6 months ago, I
                >made an experiment to only read the Pitt letters to see if they could
                >stand on their own (they do sort of), so that is still pretty much
                >fresh in my mind. Finally, I had just begun reading solely the
                >Ambrose letters for the same reason, and had stopped in the middle
                >of "A Cure For Cancer" last month!

                Something I haven't thought of, but possibly LETTERS has some hypertext
                potential? If you say that the various sections (no, not a good word, since
                that stands for the 1:L etc. sort of thing... threads, perhaps), so if these
                threads do stand alone...? Just my imagination (running away with me), but
                possibly...

                But at least that explains how you got there so fast! I should be ready by
                tomorrow. And yep, Mark B is right when he says we're an imperfect lot.
                Humans, though - we have all the right in the world - more, a moral duty! -
                to be imperfect.

                Kris

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                  Mark B. (sorrily) confesses:
                  >Hm. Well, I may as well admit with some embarrassment that
                  >I've been attempting to coast along based on my reading of
                  >"L" from late last year (while at the same time trying
                  >furiously to catch up in the re-reading).

                  Aha! Your disarming honesty is what saves you, my lad. Otherwise, we'd have
                  to bring Yolanta Gish over to inflict her very special punishment. Beware!

                  Kris

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                    This is an interesting concept. Perhaps I'll just go through and read some
                    of the characters letters. I love the Ambrose and Germaine letters. I
                    think perhaps they would stand up well on their own.

                    Also, Kris, thanks for the Federman information. I am going to try to find
                    the Washington Square... novel.

                    On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Kris Majer wrote:

                    > Agrimorfee sez:
                    > >I must sheepishly admit, Kris, that I have been glossing over the
                    > >Cooke/Burlingame letters which I find a drag. And 4-6 months ago, I
                    > >made an experiment to only read the Pitt letters to see if they could
                    > >stand on their own (they do sort of), so that is still pretty much
                    > >fresh in my mind.
                    >
                    > Something I haven't thought of, but possibly LETTERS has some hypertext
                    > potential? If you say that the various sections (no, not a good word, since
                    > that stands for the 1:L etc. sort of thing... threads, perhaps), so if these
                    > threads do stand alone...? Just my imagination (running away with me), but
                    > possibly...

                    derik a. badman.
                    http://www.geocities.com/madinkbeard
                  • Krzysztof Majer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                      Derik sez:
                      > This is an interesting concept. Perhaps I'll just go through and
                      > read some of the characters letters. I love the Ambrose and
                      > Germaine letters. I think perhaps they would stand up well on their
                      > own.

                      Yeah, it's quite simple, but hasn't occurred to me either until Ag
                      pointed it out. This being my first LETTERS reading ever, I might try
                      that the next time. And - if you're going to read the sections - does
                      that mean you'll stay in the discussion? That'd be swell.

                      > Also, Kris, thanks for the Federman information. I am going to try
                      > to find the Washington Square... novel.

                      Oh, do, by all means. It's very short and extremely readable. Say hi
                      to Moinous from me if you do.

                      Kris