Spring 2007 issue of The American Scholar

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20, 2007
      In "My Father's Jokes," John Barth, the acclaimed novelist, remembers
      his father, the popular candy-store proprietor, orphan's court chief judge,
      and after-dinner speaker. John J. Barth's list of topics for speaking gigs
      in Cambridge, Maryland, some decades ago evokes a sort of humor that can
      now make us wince and underscores the son's realization that he hardly knew
      his late father.

      http://www.theamericanscholar.org