Section 2 commnets

  • agrimorfee@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2001
      Let me jump in with thoughts on section 2.
      Last time, I wondered aloud why "The Author" will not write more
      often to Germaine in response to her upcoming adventures, but "The
      Author" answers this for me, in his letter to Germaine(M)..."I urge
      you to tell on, while I like a priest in the box draw between us now
      a screen. Or better, like a tape recorder, not distract you by
      replying."

      I find the Ambrose letter(W) to be very interesting, as we learn
      about more about Ambrose, and I believe by extension JB. It is
      obvious to me that Ambrose is the fictive equivalent of JB. The
      voice in the manuscript enclosure is the voice of JB in his earliest
      years, trying to finish the semi-autobiographical history of the
      Mensches that was started in "Funhouse" (which "Ambrose" so nicely
      delineates for new Barth readers. It seems he shrugged his shoulders
      at completing it a long time ago, before bigger and better things
      inspired him. The section evokes to me the fictional story within the
      novel of "World According To Garp" for some reason, as well as Ingmar
      Bergman films with a dubbed soundtrack.

      Speaking of trying to finish, I feel like the Todd Andrews account of
      the encounter at the bridge is another unfinished story or idea that
      was hiding in JB's old trunk (Stephen King says every writer has
      one). But it certainly is a great story, and told through in a witty
      and completely refreshing way. With the point of view, you learn how
      Andrews thinks and lives without a need to read "Floating Opera" and
      simultaneously learn about the minor characters floating in the
      LETTERS story, and get a neatly wrapped little tale on top of it. A
      great piece of work for JB!

      Lastly, I want to comment on how tricky the dates are in this novel.
      You start out thinking that the letters you'll read are in order by
      date, but then you realize late reading that due to their
      organization by "author" not by date, you are reading
      replies/solicitations from days or weeks before from other "authors"
      (did I make myself clear?) This is a great conceit for JB to
      utilize, as JB plays God with these characters and can determine
      their actions/reactions by how soon (or late) he lets the postal
      service delvier the mail! ((see letter H, 1st parag. or letter M,1st
      parag.) for two good examples! Your turn.
    • Derik
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2001
        I am gonna have to face facts and say I probably will not be able to
        continue reading LETTERS. I just have way too many other things on my
        plate right now. But I will keep watching and see if there is anything I
        can add.

        derik a. badman.
        http://www.geocities.com/madinkbeard
      • Kris Majer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2001
          Derik (unfortunately) quoth:

          >I am gonna have to face facts and say I probably will not be able to
          >continue reading LETTERS.

          Now that's a shame, but make sure you stay on and keep in touch. I was
          looking forward to your comments...

          >I guess I am not a 'decent student' (whatever the hell you mean by that)
          cause I have never heard of Federman.

          http://www.federman.com/ and definitely check out "Smiles on Washington
          Square" as well.

          Kris

          --

          Zaloz swoj elektroniczny portfel
          OnetPortfel [ http://portfel.onet.pl/ ]
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2001
            Dang! Thought I was ahead with LETTERS and slackened my reading pace for the
            past two days (mostly due to playing Thief: The Dark Project), and here's
            Agrimorfee with comments on 2:E!
            OK, will finish it tonight and be back here tomorrow.

            Kris

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11, 2001
              --- In johnbarth@y..., "Kris Majer" <stonk@f...> wrote:
              > Dang! Thought I was ahead with LETTERS and slackened my reading
              pace for the
              > past two days (mostly due to playing Thief: The Dark Project), and
              here's
              > Agrimorfee with comments on 2:E!
              > OK, will finish it tonight and be back here tomorrow.
              >
              > Kris

              I must sheepishly admit, Kris, that I have been glossing over the
              Cooke/Burlingame letters which I find a drag. And 4-6 months ago, I
              made an experiment to only read the Pitt letters to see if they could
              stand on their own (they do sort of), so that is still pretty much
              fresh in my mind. Finally, I had just begun reading solely the
              Ambrose letters for the same reason, and had stopped in the middle
              of "A Cure For Cancer" last month! This should explain my
              speediness. Hope I didn't scare you all, I probably have as much of
              a hectic schedule as you. :)
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11, 2001
                >I must sheepishly admit, Kris, that I have been glossing
                over the
                Cooke/Burlingame letters which I find a drag.

                Hm. Well, I may as well admit with some embarrassment that
                I've been attempting to coast along based on my reading of
                "L" from late last year (while at the same time trying
                furiously to catch up in the re-reading).

                I'd forgotten all about this second revolution business
                (Bray's letter is coming back to me now). Thanks for
                helping me out, Kris.

                Let's take this kind of slow at first. We need to hear from
                Mal, who mentioned a while back that he was behind schedule
                too. It's only about 90 pages. I'll be completely up to
                speed in about a day or so. There's so much to comment on.

                And of course we await feisty Mark D.'s efforts to advance
                the discussion!
                Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
              • Kris Majer
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                  Agrimorfee sez:
                  >I must sheepishly admit, Kris, that I have been glossing over the
                  >Cooke/Burlingame letters which I find a drag. And 4-6 months ago, I
                  >made an experiment to only read the Pitt letters to see if they could
                  >stand on their own (they do sort of), so that is still pretty much
                  >fresh in my mind. Finally, I had just begun reading solely the
                  >Ambrose letters for the same reason, and had stopped in the middle
                  >of "A Cure For Cancer" last month!

                  Something I haven't thought of, but possibly LETTERS has some hypertext
                  potential? If you say that the various sections (no, not a good word, since
                  that stands for the 1:L etc. sort of thing... threads, perhaps), so if these
                  threads do stand alone...? Just my imagination (running away with me), but
                  possibly...

                  But at least that explains how you got there so fast! I should be ready by
                  tomorrow. And yep, Mark B is right when he says we're an imperfect lot.
                  Humans, though - we have all the right in the world - more, a moral duty! -
                  to be imperfect.

                  Kris

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                    Mark B. (sorrily) confesses:
                    >Hm. Well, I may as well admit with some embarrassment that
                    >I've been attempting to coast along based on my reading of
                    >"L" from late last year (while at the same time trying
                    >furiously to catch up in the re-reading).

                    Aha! Your disarming honesty is what saves you, my lad. Otherwise, we'd have
                    to bring Yolanta Gish over to inflict her very special punishment. Beware!

                    Kris

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                      This is an interesting concept. Perhaps I'll just go through and read some
                      of the characters letters. I love the Ambrose and Germaine letters. I
                      think perhaps they would stand up well on their own.

                      Also, Kris, thanks for the Federman information. I am going to try to find
                      the Washington Square... novel.

                      On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Kris Majer wrote:

                      > Agrimorfee sez:
                      > >I must sheepishly admit, Kris, that I have been glossing over the
                      > >Cooke/Burlingame letters which I find a drag. And 4-6 months ago, I
                      > >made an experiment to only read the Pitt letters to see if they could
                      > >stand on their own (they do sort of), so that is still pretty much
                      > >fresh in my mind.
                      >
                      > Something I haven't thought of, but possibly LETTERS has some hypertext
                      > potential? If you say that the various sections (no, not a good word, since
                      > that stands for the 1:L etc. sort of thing... threads, perhaps), so if these
                      > threads do stand alone...? Just my imagination (running away with me), but
                      > possibly...

                      derik a. badman.
                      http://www.geocities.com/madinkbeard
                    • Krzysztof Majer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                        Derik sez:
                        > This is an interesting concept. Perhaps I'll just go through and
                        > read some of the characters letters. I love the Ambrose and
                        > Germaine letters. I think perhaps they would stand up well on their
                        > own.

                        Yeah, it's quite simple, but hasn't occurred to me either until Ag
                        pointed it out. This being my first LETTERS reading ever, I might try
                        that the next time. And - if you're going to read the sections - does
                        that mean you'll stay in the discussion? That'd be swell.

                        > Also, Kris, thanks for the Federman information. I am going to try
                        > to find the Washington Square... novel.

                        Oh, do, by all means. It's very short and extremely readable. Say hi
                        to Moinous from me if you do.

                        Kris