Re: [johnbarth] Re: wait for response

  • Elena Tarnarutskaya
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 4, 2007

      I'd hesitate to call it a novel, although I do try to perceive (with
      limited success or insight, I must admit) Barth's declared intention
      that it be received as a quote "*book* of short stories: a sequence or
      series rather than a mere assortment . . . strung together on a few
      echoed and developed themes" circling/twisting back on itself like a
      Mobius strip. (This from the front matter to the Anchor Literary
      Library version)

      And your perception of two thematic and/or stylistic halves seems
      reasonable enough (with the caveat that I haven't read the thing in a
      few years). Though I'd be interested to hear more about what you mean
      by "mythological proto-narration. "

      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

    • etarnarutskaya
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 4, 2007
        --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "agrimorfee" <agrimorfee@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Elena Tarnarutskaya
        > <etarnarutskaya@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I'm going back to Lost in the Funhouse that's full od dubble
        and
        > triple meanings.
        > > Does it seem possible for you to look at it as a novel,
        > > with the beginning set in US 50-s + novel self-reflection,
        > > and part 2 where the self-reflection is turned to its
        > mythological proto-narration?
        > > Elena
        >

        > Are you referring to just "Lost In the Funhouse" and "Ambrose His
        > Mark"?
        > I was referring to the whole book "Lost in the Funhouse" where
        there are about 10 stories more. But the seeds of the
        autobiografical novel are very talented. Thank you for telling me
        that they were used in LETTERS. By the way,how do you look at the
        cases when characters or episodes roam from one book to others?
        > I tend to think that both stories were the seeds of a an
        > autobiographical novel that Barth abandoned...in the later novel
        > LETTERS, we meet Ambrose again but as a middle-aged, failed
        author.
        > Ambrose refers to those 2 stories as chapters that "he" wrote but
        > gave to John Barth, and we get to read further chapters in
        > the "novel" that "he" never finished.

      • Elena Tarnarutskaya
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 7, 2007
          (Sorry for sending empty messages, I must have pushed wrong buttons, hoping this one is being sent)
          I see mythological proto-narration as narrative patterns stored in folklore and myth.
          Thank you for the observation of the abandoned autobiographical novel! I didn't know thar Ambrose appears in a later novel.

          Judging by this and other instances when Barth's favourite characters roam throughout his books, they might seem one gygantic novel - out of how many?(that's a joke -or maybe not...)

          Be a PS3 game guru.

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 9, 2007
            --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "etarnarutskaya"
            <etarnarutskaya@...> wrote:
            By the way,how do you look at the
            > cases when characters or episodes roam from one book to others?

            I usually enjoy these situations. Stephen King, for example, has had a
            habit of referencing characters and situations from one novel(or
            story) into others. His novels and stories that take place in "Castle
            Rock, Maine" are typical of this.
          • Elena Tarnarutskaya
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 10, 2007
              Dear Mehdy
              How do you like "The End of the Road" so far? What do you think of the doctor who treats the protagonist with myths? What have you learnt from the book about writing stories? Do Iranian students like J B?
              In Russia his books, although evalluated mostly in academic environment aren't popular with general public. But some advanced students interested in modern inellectual writing, read them.
              Best regards
              Elena
              LLooking forward to IIn Russia

              Never miss an email again!
              Yahoo! Toolbar
            • M. Sedaghat Payam
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 10, 2007
                Dear Elena
                As a matter of fact there has not been a translation of John Barth in Persian yet, and my collection of Barth's stories of Barth will be the first of its kind. I am hopeful that Dunyazadiad finds a huge amount of readers. Here in Iran people buy the books either because of their writers or because of their translators. I am not a famous translator because it is my second book and few people actually know Barth. Thus I have to wait and see what will be the readers' reaction by September in which the translation will be published.
                Personally I like Barth's works a lot and that novel taught me a lot about writing a good story I always wondered how can you narrate the story without the dialogue or direct narration and this novel gave me a good idea of how to come up with a good mixture of both rather than trying to come up with a third way. The idea of mythotherapy and all the other methods of therapy was so original and considering the fact that he wrote it when he was 24, I appreciate him a lot more.The doctor and his peculiar hospital were so bizarre and I still can not say what I think about them. What is your idea concerning the hospital and the doctor?

                Reagrds
                Mehdy

                Elena Tarnarutskaya <etarnarutskaya@...> wrote:
                Dear Mehdy
                How do you like "The End of the Road" so far? What do you think of the doctor who treats the protagonist with myths? What have you learnt from the book about writing stories? Do Iranian students like J B?
                In Russia his books, although evalluated mostly in academic environment aren't popular with general public. But some advanced students interested in modern inellectual writing, read them.
                Best regards
                Elena
                LLooking forward to IIn Russia

                Never miss an email again!