Houghton Mifflin, Philip Roth

  • Krzysztof Majer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2006
      > I never noticed that until you mentioned it. Surely it's a coincidence.

      Well, perhaps. I'm sure they'd look funny side by side on the shelf,
      anyway - JB's last three. :)

      Exploring the HM website just now and their products in the 'fiction'
      category - indeed they're *not* all blue and yellow! - I found that
      they are the publishers of Philip Roth's latest, "Everyman". I keep
      hearing good things about it - anyone give it a shot? I'm not that
      much of a Roth fan, but always interested in his work and more or less
      trying to keep up. I hear it's a painful, no-holds-barred account of
      old age and sickness. Could be interesting to compare with Bellow's
      "Ravelstein" or Richler's "Barney's Version" - two books by Jewish
      writers dealing brilliantly with the same issue - which I just
      happened to read more or less at the same time. Both also turned out
      to be the respective author's final statement, which I hope of course
      is not the case with Roth...