Re: [johnbarth] 3 roads in the mail & a Barth ref

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
      Hey Kris,

      Good to hear from you. This bit from from The Literature of
      Exhaustion (page 72 in The Friday Book) may be on the mark:

      http://tinyurl.com/gw2yr [amazon]

      Regards,
      Mark

      On 6/4/06, Krzysztof Majer <kmajer@...> wrote:
      >I'm stumped with a Barth reference, so where else do I turn
      > for help if not to you? Somewhere in the Friday Book, the Man talks
      > about how we misguidedly assume that the realistic mode of fiction is
      > the "novel proper", just because it's so dominant in (especially
      > popular) 20th century fiction, whereas, of course, Rabelais,
      > Cervantes, Sterne, Fielding, etc etc. Now Milan Kundera talks about it
      > too, entertainingly, as the alternative road that fiction renounced,
      > in a volume of essays (The Art of the Novel?); but I'm pretty sure I
      > first read it in the Friday pieces. Alas, I don't have the book here,
      > and the Flensburg library doesn't have it either. Does anyone
      > remember, or, failing that, could have a peep? I've got a footnote for
      > an article ready, but would need the page number. It's just a minor
      > thing, an aside - but still, fun to insert Barth somewhere.
      >
      > Hope you all are well!

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Krzysztof Majer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2006
        Thanks Mark! It's not exactly the bit I wanted, but it makes a similar
        point, so it will do for a reference - I refashioned the footnote slightly.

        3 Roads still haven't arrived.