Barth on Bookworm March 9

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2006
      John Barth, a hero of the post-modern novel, talks about (among other
      things) heroism, the name "Fred" (which mysteriously recurs in all
      three of these novellas), the nature of the novella, and the nature of
      stories. He's so graceful that he even tells how a story can be a
      narrator, describing its own birth, middle, and old age. The essence
      of virtuosity: long live John Barth.
      Read an excerpt from the book.
      Will air Thursday, March 9, 2006.

      http://www.kcrw.org/show/bw
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2006
        Just a reminder that Barth's appearance last week on 'Bookworm' is
        archived here:

        http://www.kcrw.org/show/bw
      • Gamblin, Glenn
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2006
          Thanks, Mark.

          I'm finally getting around to reading 'Coming Soon!!! (a narrative)' and I'm sorry to report that (so far) I've found it a bit ham-fisted.
          As most of the victims of my story-telling would say, "I get it, I just didn't think it was that funny.." In this case, the STORY seems to be running through some kind of parabolic distillation process - and at this stage (about 2/3 of the way through it) appears to be heading for a black hole.  I'll finish it, but mainly because I know he always pays his narrative debts (and I can't wait to see how he does it here).
          That being said, his imitation of a young Post-postmodernist (himself at an earlier age?) is spot-on and must have been an absolute joy to compose.

          Anybody else recall feeling that way at this point in the novel?

          Just a reminder that Barth's appearance last week on 'Bookworm' is
          archived here:

          http://www.kcrw.org/show/bw

          STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY:
          The information contained in this electronic message is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, be advised you have received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.  Please notify TradePoint Systems LLC immediately at (603) 889-3200 and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.