Opening scene of The End of the Road

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2005
      In this interview, Silverblatt mentions the opening scene of The End
      of the Road -- the Doctor and Horner sitting on chairs nearly knee to
      knee, etc -- and Barth "corrects" him and says that the opening scene
      is when Jake is immobilized at the train (bus?) station and the Doctor
      first approaches him.

      Silverblatt is right and Barth is wrong (right)?

      http://www.lannan.org/lf/rc/event/john-barth/
    • Barbara
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2005
        Opening of e-version:

        1 In a Sense, I Am Jacob Horner

        In a sense, I am Jacob Horner.
        It was on the advice of the Doctor that in 1953 I
        entered the teaching profession; for a time I was a
        teacher of grammar at the Wicomico State Teachers
        College, in Maryland.
        The Doctor had brought me to a certain point in my
        original schedule of therapies (this was in June
        1953), and then, once when I drove down from Baltimore
        for my quarterly checkup at the Remobilization Farm,
        which at that time was near Wicomico, he said to me,
        "Jacob Horner, you mustn't sit idle any longer. You
        will have to begin work."
        "I'm not idle all the time," said I. "I take
        different jobs."
        We were seated in the Progress and Advice Room of the
        farmhouse: there is one exactly like it in the present
        establishment, in Pennsylvania. It is a medium-size
        room, about as large as an apartment living room, only
        high-ceilinged. The walls are flat white, the windows
        are covered by white Venetian blinds, usually closed,
        and a globed ceiling fixture provides the light. In
        this room there are two straight-backed white wooden
        chairs, exactly alike, facing each other in the center
        of the floor, and no other furniture. The chairs are
        very close together -- so close that the advisee
        almost touches knees with the adviser.
        It is impossible to be at ease in the Progress and
        Advice Room. The Doctor sits facing you, his legs
        slightly spread, his hands on his knees, and leans a
        little toward you.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2005
          Thanks Barbara. I was beginning to feel like Mr Anonymiad, there. . .