Re: Belated review of TBTNN

  • Mal McCormack
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6 9:35 PM
      --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@g...>
      wrote:
      > http://www.sundayherald.com/47522

      Ouch!! That's a pretty small-minded review. A bit of twisted
      political correctness looking for a victim.

      Seems to me that he isn't particularly familiar with Barth's
      writings, otherwise he'd realise that they've NEVER had anything to
      do with contemporary politics, or even ethics. Did he expect some
      sort of half-baked polemic?

      Furthermore -- Barth's style is Barth's style, and has been for
      decades. Why should it change just for the sake of change? Hey, I
      for one like it just the way it is.
    • J.M. Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7 3:40 AM
        Yeah, I agree with you Mal (hello everyone, by the way, it's been a while),
        I read the review and wondered why someone who thought the way he did would
        write a review for the book in the first place.

        However, to gnaw on an old chestnut for a moment (I guess it's an old
        chestnut for a very good reason), don't you reckon that Barth has felt the
        pressure of politics and ethics for a long time? Story is surely not purely
        an escape from these things, but another way of becoming bound. I see the
        Lost in the Funhouse, Chimera and LETTERS sequence in the sixties and
        seventies as the highpoint of this exploration of story as binding.

        Jonathan

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7 3:34 PM
          Not only does this guy not understand the history of Barth, he
          doesn't seem to realize that these tales were written at various
          times since the '60s.

          What I do agree with is the complaint stated in the first
          sentence...to show and don't tell...JB seems to be writing about the
          problem of writing than actually writing in the book (which is
          nothing old, but has been done not so stridently OBVIOUS--but that's
          just my opinion.)
        • jtl
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8 3:20 AM
            Seems to be?
            Come on! Thats the bloody fulcrum isn't it?
            I was duly depressed by the review and extend my condoleances.
            Someone said something about all things have already been written or to that
            effect. Yes, and how comforting, though this reviewer obviously wants new
            material everyday and relevant too. Bye bye muse...

            ... oh by the way I haven't had my coffee yet...
            Jørgen