Re: Fountain pens

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
      --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@g...>
      wrote:
      > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:32:19 -0300, jtl <jtl@g...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I find it troublesome that you have to buy your own christmas
      gift. Other
      > > than that... I've only had Pelicans.
      > I think I've decided to go for a Parker 51 that looks vaguely like
      the
      > one on the cover of _Once Upon a Time_. > > And a merry X-mas.
      > > Jørgen
      >
      > Thank you. And to you and yours!

      Don't forget to buy a spiral (bound) notebook! :)
    • jtl
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
        Ja
        Glædelig Jul til Alle

        Life here is turning icecold and increasingly white. I was recently (during
        a flight to Denmark last month) suckered into reading, believe it or not,
        "The Da Vinci Code", due to having forgot to bring other material.. I have
        rarely been so selfdisgusted.
        I managed to drag myself out of that moraine by rereading some M&D while
        intently listening to Glass' violin concerto. Great choice Mal.
        Oh, I also read deBotton's "how Proust can Save.... Yeah even good books
        deserve to be put down. But hey Bad books (da vinci)deserve to be...what...
        Burned? oh vey, maybe not. freedom of newspeak etc. Hey does that make Barth
        the hero of oldspeak?

        Lets get Christmassy!
        Groovy on over to the bookshelf and ...

        Yours truly
        Jørgen of the North
        ... quite near that hole to the inverted innerworld actually. People keep
        falling down there...
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
          On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:15:13 -0300, jtl <jtl@...> wrote:

          [&c]

          I'll have what Jorgen's having. . .
        • Mal McCormack
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
            --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "agrimorfee" <agrimorfee@h...>
            wrote:

            > Don't forget to buy a spiral (bound) notebook! :)

            Hang on, doesn't Barth make a point of making a point that he uses a
            loose-leaf ring binder (worn and shiny, a survivor of student days,
            etc.)?

            Mal.
          • Mal McCormack
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2004
              --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "jtl" <jtl@g...> wrote:
              > Ja
              > Glædelig Jul til Alle
              >
              > Life here is turning icecold and increasingly white. I was recently
              (during
              > a flight to Denmark last month) suckered into reading, believe it
              or not,
              > "The Da Vinci Code", due to having forgot to bring other material..
              I have
              > rarely been so selfdisgusted.
              > I managed to drag myself out of that moraine by rereading some M&D
              while
              > intently listening to Glass' violin concerto. Great choice Mal.
              > Oh, I also read deBotton's "how Proust can Save.... Yeah even good
              books
              > deserve to be put down. But hey Bad books (da vinci)deserve to
              be...what...
              > Burned? oh vey, maybe not. freedom of newspeak etc. Hey does that
              make Barth
              > the hero of oldspeak?
              >

              > Lets get Christmassy!
              > Groovy on over to the bookshelf and ...
              >
              > Yours truly
              > Jørgen of the North
              > ... quite near that hole to the inverted innerworld actually.
              People keep
              > falling down there...

              Heh heh, Jorgen. . . Stay well clear of the inverted innerworld my
              friend, it's got a habit of sucking dentists in. What a gas.

              I thought you'd like the Glass. Can you believe he wants us to
              believe the horses' hooves over the prairie are actually castanets
              clacking up and down succulent Iberian thighs??? But we are not so
              easily hoodwinked. . .

              Mal(adjusted)
            • jtl
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
                > Hang on, doesn't Barth make a point of making a point that he uses a
                > loose-leaf ring binder (worn and shiny, a survivor of student days,
                > etc.)?
                >
                > Mal.

                and also Mal(stroem):
                >Can you believe he wants us to
                >believe the horses' hooves over the prairie are actually castanets
                >clacking up and down succulent Iberian thighs??? But we are not so
                >easily hoodwinked. . .

                Takes us fellow scientist to keep track of things eh?

                Negrøj (Small aside to Leonardo there)
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
                  Well, I got the Parker 51. Handsome thing. Looks just like the one
                  on the cover of Once Upon… Not as smooth and quick a nib as I would
                  have liked. It bites and drags on the page a bit. I wonder if this
                  will change with use or if I'm just effed. The thing dates to the
                  late forties, so you'd think it'd be smooth as a baby's butt. But
                  maybe it has sat in disuse for decades and this has some bearing.
                  Haven't the foggiest. Might have to spring for a $30 Waterman
                  'Hemisphere." (Relatively) cheap and fast as hell...
                • Barbara
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
                    I had a Meisterstuck for years, that I deeply loved;
                    it had a gold nib and the writing process, if not
                    content, was dreamy. Then the bloody body of the pen
                    split for no apparent reason and Mont Blanc wanted $50
                    to just look at it; and that made me so mad that now I
                    only write using a keyboard or with pencil.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com