Who fancies a read?

  • Mal McCormack
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 24, 2004
      Well behind everyone else, I finally have my copy of "10 Nights"
      (courtesy of Amazon -- there's no Australian distributor as yet).

      Hmm. It's quite a while since we had a Group Read (quite a
      while. . .!)around here.

      Anyone interested?

      Mal.
    • Sean O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 24, 2004
        That's ironic.
        I just started my copy last evening.
        I'd be glad to join.
        -Sean

        Well behind everyone else, I finally have my copy of "10 Nights"
        (courtesy of Amazon -- there's no Australian distributor as yet).

        Hmm.  It's quite a while since we had a Group Read (quite a
        while. . .!)around here.

        Anyone interested?

        Mal.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 24, 2004
          Count me in.

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
            I'll be durned. That there copy ain't due for arrival until 29 august
            through 3 september at this address. I'll be breathing (coldly) down your
            necks, prospectively.
            I've been delving into CS!!! inbetweenwhile. (In between fillings, or as one
            would put it proffesionally: approximally).../~\

            Jørgen

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
              Yo Jørgen,

              How's that dentist shortage on the island?

              Well, we've waited this long, maybe we can wait for your book to
              arrive. What say the others?

              -Mark

              On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:30:58 -0200, jtl <jtl@...> wrote:
              > I'll be durned. That there copy ain't due for arrival until 29 august
              > through 3 september at this address. I'll be breathing (coldly) down your
              > necks, prospectively.
              > I've been delving into CS!!! inbetweenwhile. (In between fillings, or as one
              > would put it proffesionally: approximally).../~\
              >
              > Jørgen

            • Sean O'Donnell
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004

                I don’t mind waiting.

                How's that dentist shortage on the island?

                Well, we've waited this long, maybe we can wait for your book to
                arrive.  What say the others?

                -Mark

                On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:30:58 -0200, jtl <jtl@...> wrote:
                > I'll be durned. That there copy ain't due for arrival until 29 august
                > through 3 september at this address. I'll be breathing (coldly) down your
                > necks, prospectively.
                > I've been delving into CS!!! inbetweenwhile. (In between fillings, or as one
                > would put it proffesionally: approximally).../~\
                >
                > Jørgen

              • jtl
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
                  Happy dentist here
                  Jørgen
                  How's that dentist shortage on the island?

                  Well, we've waited this long, maybe we can wait for your book to
                  arrive.  What say the others?

                  -Mark

                  On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:30:58 -0200, jtl <jtl@...> wrote:
                  > I'll be durned. That there copy ain't due for arrival until 29 august
                  > through 3 september at this address. I'll be breathing (coldly) down your
                  > necks, prospectively.
                  > I've been delving into CS!!! inbetweenwhile. (In between fillings, or as one
                  > would put it proffesionally: approximally).../~\
                  >
                  > Jørgen

                • barbara schmidt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
                    ready any time.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Mal McCormack
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
                      Well that's an encouraging clutch of affirmative replies. Since Herr
                      Brawner is the convenor I think we should make him work for his glory
                      and set it all up for the rest of us.

                      Gotta wait for Jorgen, though. And I'll resist making any cracks
                      about the Vikings being the last preliterate Western European
                      race. . .

                      M.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
                        Agrimorfee is ready whenever. Someone else needs to organize "hosts"
                        if we use the same type of format for discussion that we classically
                        have done. Schedule at least 1 week's time per chapter and linking
                        interludes between Greybeard & Sherry (odd exception, that bizarre
                        Taped/Spoken Word piece in the front--someone will have to double up
                        with that one).

                        In the meantime, I am triumphantly marching through Giles Goat Boy
                        for the 3rd time, trying to see if i can read it all the way through
                        this time.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
                          >Greybeard & Sherry

                          That's Graybard and WYSYWIG, matey.
                        • Mal McCormack
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
                            --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@g...>
                            wrote:
                            > >Greybeard & Sherry
                            >
                            > That's Graybard and WYSYWIG, matey.

                            And would she be any relation to WYSIWYG?
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 25, 2004
                              Yes, well as I'm fond of saying: "What you see you what is get."

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 26, 2004
                                Nag, nag, nag...now who can organize this reading? :)

                                wrote:
                                > Yes, well as I'm fond of saying: "What you see you what is get."
                                >
                                > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:29:29 -0000, Mal McCormack
                                > <annemac@a...> wrote:
                                > > --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Mark Brawner <mark.brawner@g...>

                                > > > That's Graybard and WYSYWIG, matey.
                                > >
                                > > And would she be any relation to WYSIWYG?
                                > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • donna_eichenwald
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 27, 2004
                                  Well, count me in on this, folks.

                                  By way of introduction, since y'all are entitled to know who's
                                  reading along, I'm Donna (in Austin, TX). I discovered Barth quite
                                  by accident back in '87 or so, courtesy of Anthony Burgess, and
                                  promptly read Giles Goat-Boy, which I enjoyed immensely. After that
                                  I devoured everything I could find.

                                  Even though some certainly consider it one of Barth's sappier, more
                                  sentimental efforts, for some reason Tidewater Tales did a bit of a
                                  number on me. Don't know why; when I read it, it just seemed to me
                                  that it would be relevant at some future time. And it was...

                                  I lived in New Jersey then, just across the Hudson from Manhattan, so
                                  of the New York-y bits were quite familiar, as were the Chesapeake
                                  ones, since I'd always been partial to coastal vacations. But the
                                  real tug was in the odd bits of coincidence and fate... Meeting
                                  someone and re-meeting later, being at the same point in life,
                                  involvement of larger-than-life figures... that sort of thing, not to
                                  mention the whole Doomsday business.

                                  So back in April of 2000, I received an e-mail from someone
                                  suggesting that I visit the web site of a friend of hers--only
                                  because he and I were born on the same day, same year. I looked,
                                  thought it was more than interesting but also knew it was
                                  inconsequential, because the fellow lived in Slovenia, some 7,500
                                  miles away from me.

                                  December 2000, nine months later... a musician I loved was killed far
                                  before her time in a freak accident. My brother sent a link to a
                                  site where people were posting condolences. I looked, and the site
                                  opened opened to a message so touching that I had to write to thank
                                  its author--a guy who lived in Slovenia.

                                  It only dawned on me several days later that there was a reason for
                                  the Slovene connection to trigger that recognition, so I e-mailed a
                                  few questions and waited. Sure enough, it was the same guy... He
                                  came to New York to meet me eight months after we began writing, and
                                  we've been married now for a year and a half.

                                  And yes, weirder still, we were born on exactly the same day, same
                                  year--eight minutes and 15 miles apart. Barth is the only person I
                                  can imagine writing such a bizarre coincidence into a novel, and I'm
                                  not sure I'd believe it even from him. Even more strange, we're
                                  expecting twins in February (at the ripe old age of 45).

                                  Anyway, I just picked up my copy of 10 Nights yesterday, and am most
                                  eager to delve into it, as the whole 9/11 things had a lot of impact
                                  on me. I was living just across the river at the time, fairly
                                  isolated from family and friends, and was more than a little unnerved
                                  by the constant thunder of fighter jets overhead during those days as
                                  they patrolled the area.

                                  Not only that, but for some reason I dreamed the aftermath of the
                                  attack about 7 hours before it occurred... having fallen asleep in
                                  front of the TV, I awoke at 2 am having dreamed of news reporters
                                  standing amid clouds of dust and panicking crowds in downtown
                                  Manhattan, debating why the planes were flying so close and why there
                                  was a second one. In my dream state I reasoned incorrectly that they
                                  were worried about nothing, that the planes and smokes were just the
                                  result of cropdusting. It was truly bizarre the next morning to wake
                                  up literally just after the first plane hit, and to turn on the TV
                                  and see a 'replay' of the scene from my dream--and know what was
                                  coming next.

                                  I'm especially curious to get Barth's take on the end of life as
                                  Americans know it... it's such a huge theme in our lives, since my
                                  husband was an American living in Slovenia at the time, and also,
                                  since we stuck with our plans to meet up in London just a few weeks
                                  after the attacks, despite whatever danger there might have been
                                  (we'd just met each other two weeks before to start with, and knew we
                                  were onto something important).

                                  9/11 was just the impetus I needed to get the heck away from NY--not
                                  that the same thing couldn't happen anywhere else--so once he came
                                  back to the US, we headed to Austin, TX, which is where we remain.
                                  Heck, it was time for me to gt out anyway, since I'd had two near-
                                  fatal car wrecks (not my fault!) in the space of nine months, and was
                                  feeling a bit jinxed on NJ roads.

                                  We basically spend out days writing about one thing or another, and
                                  though I'm a musician as well, there's not the same market for music
                                  here in TX as there was in NY... Tradeoffs everywhere, I suppose!

                                  Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading with everyone!

                                  Donna
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 27, 2004
                                    Yes, well. Wow. I hereby nominate this Most Intriguing Maiden Post
                                    to the list. Ever.

                                    Jeepers, Donna, there's so much in there, I don't know where to begin
                                    response-wise. But what's the hurry?

                                    Soon I'll cobble up some kind of loose template for the group read of
                                    our man's latest (unless someone else wants to do it).

                                    Welcome,
                                    Mark
                                  • barbara schmidt
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                                      welcome. Thanks for posting your wonderful story.

                                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                    • donna_eichenwald
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                                        Well, thanks! Hoped I didn't go overboard, but my husband and I
                                        moderate a Yahoo group here in Austin with close to 6,000 members, so
                                        we're pretty used to people giving pretty thorough introductions when
                                        they join up...

                                        --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, barbara schmidt <barbstoo@y...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > welcome. Thanks for posting your wonderful story.
                                      • Jørgen Tang Larsen
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 30, 2004
                                          Yes, well, wow to second degree there, Donna!
                                          I thought I'd chime in here and sametimely disappoint a little by reporting
                                          that 10 nights and 1 was not in the mailbag today. Or should that be
                                          mailfreezer...
                                          yours truly
                                          Jørgen