Barth interviewed by Bookforum

  • Blair Mahoney
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2004
      http://www.bookforum.net/barth_intvw.html

      Interesting, fairly wide-ranging interview.

      Mark will be pleased to finally see some mention of DFW by Barth:

      BF: What do you think of the new generation of metafiction writers, who
      arguably owe a debt to you, like Dave Eggers, Aimee Bender, and David
      Foster Wallace?

      JB: One of the things to be noticed about them, as about those former
      coachees of mine who have made reputations of their own, is that they
      are very different from one another and they are very different from
      me. When I think of people like David Foster Wallace and Dave Eggers,
      both of whose works I have admired, I'm at least as impressed by the
      differences I see as I am by any similarities. But then that also
      applies to placing, say, Gass, Donald Barthelme, William Gaddis, John
      Hawkes, and myself under the heading of "postmodernist." When we would
      see one another, we would always sort of shake our heads and remind
      ourselves that we'd been more impressed by the differences between what
      we were each doing than by any similarities. Those categories are
      useful, but they're not to be mistaken for the things that they
      describe.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
        --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, Blair Mahoney <b1b2@m...> wrote:
        > http://www.bookforum.net/barth_intvw.html

        Thanks for sharing, Blair. JB seems so contradictory throughout, oh
        well, I guess it is his right. :) Why couldn't they find a picture
        of him from THIS CENTURY? :)
      • barbara schmidt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
          I've never quite understood why venerable authors are
          interviewed like this; the whole 'up close and
          personal' thing is strange. Not sure it's interesting
          to have a 'hero' led by some questioner whose
          experience and intent is ... making himself more
          heroic? For all the years I've loved and hated JB,
          it's his stories that make him real, not: his
          interviews, his 'coachees', his blurbs.

          [sic the comma outside the single quote.]

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail