Re: Score!

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
      Well, this thing never showed up. Second time this has
      happened to me in recent weeks. I've had some rotten luck
      with Alibris lately...

      Has anyone gotten ahold of it yet?

      On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:56:29 -0800
      "Mark Brawner" <markbrawner@...> wrote:
      >I just found an uncorrected proof of TBTNN on alibris.
      > 4/9/2004 be damned.
      >Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/

      Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
    • Sean O'Donnell
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
        Yup, and I went there on your recommendation.
        Hopefully, I'll be able to start it this weekend (admittedly now with a slight sense of guilt / irony).

        May try to get up to the alma mater for the reading on 4/27.

        That was how I first got turned on to JB, during his reading of Seventh Voyage at JHU; I was a freshman taking C.A.L. (a writing seminars course which pretty much limited you to Hopkins authors), my prof. was a former student of JB, who of course, was himself a former student at JHU. Our professor encouraged us to check out the author of what we were currently reading (LITF), and if we could ever manage it, take his graduate course on Joyce's Ulysses; we couldn't as these were his last few years of academia.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
          On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:50:20 -0500
          "Sean O'Donnell" <sOdonnell@...> wrote:
          >Hopefully, I'll be able to start it this weekend
          >(admittedly now with a slight sense of guilt / irony).

          I'm now trying to decide whether to attempt to order
          another galley or just wait for the hardcover (4/9, I
          believe it is).

          >May try to get up to the alma mater for the reading on
          >4/27.

          If you do, I hope you'll write us up a little summary.
          Something like this (I'll forgive you if it's not as
          long):

          http://www.andbutso.com/~christina/grove/
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
            I'd be happy to, if I can make it there.
            (coming from that city slightly southwest of Baltimore)
            >Hopefully, I'll be able to start it this weekend
            >(admittedly now with a slight sense of guilt / irony).

            I'm now trying to decide whether to attempt to order
            another galley or just wait for the hardcover (4/9, I
            believe it is).

            >May try to get up to the alma mater for the reading on
            >4/27.

            If you do, I hope you'll write us up a little summary.
            Something like this (I'll forgive you if it's not as
            long):

            http://www.andbutso.com/~christina/grove/
            Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
          • Jørgen Tang Larsen
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
              4/9
              4/27
              9/...

              ...here its just winter, period.

              Oh, and a 3 quarter moon too...

              Jørgen

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
                Well that's odd. The book showed up today. Maybe I should
                have started whining two weeks ago.

                At any rate, here is the table of contents. I have no idea
                what the significance of the "oo/ooo" doodads is, ditto
                their proximity to each other (which has been rather
                clumsily approximated here).

                CONTENTS

                INVOCATION: "WYSIWYG"
                Help! oo

                FIRST NIGHT oo
                Landscape: The Eastern Shore oo

                SECOND NIGHT o o
                The Ring oo

                THIRD NIGHT o o
                Dead Cat, Floating Boy ooo

                FOURTH NIGHT o o o
                A Detective and a Turtle ooo

                FIFTH NIGHT o o o
                The Rest of Your Life ooo

                SIXTH NIGHT o o o
                The Big Shrink ooo

                SEVENTH NIGHT o o o
                Extension ooo

                EIGHTH NIGHT o o o
                And Then There's the One ooo

                NINTH NIGHT ooo
                9999 ooo

                TENTH NIGHT o o o
                Click ooo

                ELEVENTH NIGHT o o o
                Wysiwyg? ooo

                AFTERWORDS o o o
                Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
                  Earlier versions of these stories have appeared before
                  (some of the particulars are found here
                  http://www.dave-edelman.com/barth/resources.cfm#uncollected)
                  with the exception of the eleventh night's "Wysiwyg"? But
                  get this:

                  "Help!" Esquire (September 1969 [!])

                  "Landscape: The Eastern Shore" The Kenyon Review (Winter
                  1960 [!])
                  Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/