Re: [johnbarth] Re: Copyright

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2004
      Kind of reminds me of the bit from Funhouse:

      1. Niagara Falls

      She paused amid the kitchen to drink a glass of water; at
      that instant, losing a grip of fifty years, the
      next-room-ceiling-plaster crashed. Or he merely sat in an
      empty study, in March-day glare, listening to the universe
      rustle in his head, when suddenly the five-foot shelf let
      go. For ages the fault creeps secret through the rock; in a
      second, ledge and railings, tourists and turbines all
      thunder over Niagara. Which snowflake triggers the
      avalanche? A house explodes; a star. In your spouse, so
      apparently resigned, murder twitches like a fetus. At some
      trifling new assessment, all the colonies rebel.

      Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
    • Mal McCormack
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 15, 2004
        Those who were involved with the old Jolly Roger Barth Board may
        recall that a gent by the name of Bruce once asked the source of
        Mark's "Niagara Falls" piece. It turned out he wanted it because
        he'd just been diagnosed with a particularly nasty type of brain
        cancer and he felt it was germane to his own situation.

        Bruce and I subsequently corresponded regularly, through his numerous
        relapses and remissions, but he's been silent since November and the
        only reasonable assumption is that he's now dead. Thanks in part to
        the Mayo Clinic, I think he set a new survival record for that
        particular malignancy. I'm going to miss his emails.

        Just thought those who might remember him would like to know.

        Mal.

        --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Brawner" <markbrawner@z...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 16, 2004
          ". . ."

          Though crowd here, lately.

          Thanks for that, Mal. I remember Bruce allright, though I
          didn't correspond with him. I think he found us at my
          first abortive attempt at a Barth board, though, rather
          than the jolly roger thing, which latter--in what strikes
          me as a final-coffin-nail kind of thing--has as its two
          latest posts solicitations for a search tool and for "teen
          galleries."

          http://mobydicks.com/lecture/JohnBarthhall/wwwboard23.html