Copyright

  • terra132
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
      I would like to use the following John Barth quote in a film. Does anyone
      know who to contact for copyright information or if I can just use it? Thank
      you. Here is the quote:

      It is possible to watch the sky from morning to midnight without ever being
      able to put your finger on the precise point where a qualitative change takes
      place; no one can say 'it is exactly here that twilight becomes night'.

      One can go a long way into a situation [such] that one realizes the change
      has already been made, is already history, and one rides along then on the
      sense of inevitability, a too-lateness ... which for one reason or other, one
      does not see fit to question.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
        I don't know how these things work, but you could start by
        asking the man himself. I'm not sure the physical address
        below is still good, but I do know he's still with Houghton
        Mifflin -- his next will be released by them in April of
        this year. http://tinylink.com/?5t1gXh7sJZ

        John Barth
        c/o Houghton Mifflin Company, Trade Division
        Adult Editorial, 8th Floor
        222 Berkeley Street
        Boston, MA 02116-3764

        http://www.dave-edelman.com/barth/faq.cfm

        Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
          Hey, where's the quotation from, BTW?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2004
            Thank you for the information about contacting John Barth for use of
            his quote in my film. That is VERY helpful!

            I unfortunately do not know where the quote is from and would love to
            know so that I might confirm that I have it printed correctly. If you
            have any thoughts, let me know.

            Thanks again.
          • pmc@23ae.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2004
              The End of the Road, page 104 in the Avon Paperback copy I own. It's in the
              last third of chapter seven.
              The part you are mentioning is at the bottom half of the paragraph that
              starts "Then at nine-thirty" and reads like this:

              I mention this because it applies so often to people's reasoning about their
              behavior in situations that later turn out to be regrettable: it is possible
              to watch the sky from morning to midnight, or move along the spectrum from
              infrared to ultraviolet, without ever being able to put your finger on the
              precise point where a qualitative change takes place; no one can say, "It is
              exactly here that twilight becomes night," or blue becomes violet, or
              innocence guilt. One can go a long way into a situation thus without finding
              the word or gesture upon which initial responsibility can handily be
              fixed -- such a long way that suddenly one realizes the change has already
              been made, is already history, and one rides along then on the sense of an
              inevitability, a too-lateness, in which he does not really believe, but
              which for one reason or another he does not see fit to question.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 13, 2004
                Thanks so much for the source of origin for my quote. Much appreciated!
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 13, 2004
                  Kind of reminds me of the bit from Funhouse:

                  1. Niagara Falls

                  She paused amid the kitchen to drink a glass of water; at
                  that instant, losing a grip of fifty years, the
                  next-room-ceiling-plaster crashed. Or he merely sat in an
                  empty study, in March-day glare, listening to the universe
                  rustle in his head, when suddenly the five-foot shelf let
                  go. For ages the fault creeps secret through the rock; in a
                  second, ledge and railings, tourists and turbines all
                  thunder over Niagara. Which snowflake triggers the
                  avalanche? A house explodes; a star. In your spouse, so
                  apparently resigned, murder twitches like a fetus. At some
                  trifling new assessment, all the colonies rebel.

                • Mal McCormack
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 15, 2004
                    Those who were involved with the old Jolly Roger Barth Board may
                    recall that a gent by the name of Bruce once asked the source of
                    Mark's "Niagara Falls" piece. It turned out he wanted it because
                    he'd just been diagnosed with a particularly nasty type of brain
                    cancer and he felt it was germane to his own situation.

                    Bruce and I subsequently corresponded regularly, through his numerous
                    relapses and remissions, but he's been silent since November and the
                    only reasonable assumption is that he's now dead. Thanks in part to
                    the Mayo Clinic, I think he set a new survival record for that
                    particular malignancy. I'm going to miss his emails.

                    Just thought those who might remember him would like to know.

                    Mal.

                    --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Brawner" <markbrawner@z...>

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 16, 2004
                      ". . ."

                      Though crowd here, lately.

                      Thanks for that, Mal. I remember Bruce allright, though I
                      didn't correspond with him. I think he found us at my
                      first abortive attempt at a Barth board, though, rather
                      than the jolly roger thing, which latter--in what strikes
                      me as a final-coffin-nail kind of thing--has as its two
                      latest posts solicitations for a search tool and for "teen
                      galleries."

                      http://mobydicks.com/lecture/JohnBarthhall/wwwboard23.html