The Book of Ten Nights and a Night: Eleven Stories

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2003
      Responding to the amazon thing, here...:

      >John Barth, the postmodern master, is back with his
      sixteenth book and third collection of stories, which
      gathers for the first time in one volume stories previously
      published in various journals.

      Dang, it sounds like no brand spanking new ones. But what
      do faceless advance-reviewer/-blurbers like this know?
      There may be one or two uncollected ones.

      >Here are tales of aging, time, possibility, and
      relationships. And in typically Barthian fashion, they are
      framed by the narration of a veteran writer, Graybard, and
      his flirtatious, insouciant muse, WYSIWYG (What You See Is
      What You Get).

      Aha! Well, at least the framing material will be new,
      which means the stories we've already read might have seen
      some gentle tweaking in the interest of resonance between
      the stories and all that.

      >During the eleven days that follow September 11, 2001,
      Graybard and WYSIWYG debate the meaning and relevance of
      writing and storytelling in the wake of disaster, or
      TEOTWAW(A)KI? The End Of The World As We (Americans) Know
      It. The Book of Ten Nights and a Night is vintage Barth,
      sure to appeal to his loyal fans and find new readers
      touched by his irreverent but deeply human perspective on
      how writers can respond to the emotional and ethical
      demands of tragic events.

      Geez, I'm chomping at the bit already...
      Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2003
        --- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Brawner" <markbrawner@z...>
        wrote:
        > Responding to the amazon thing, here...:
        >> >Here are tales of aging, time, possibility, and
        > relationships. And in typically Barthian fashion, they are
        > framed by the narration of a veteran writer, Graybard, and
        > his flirtatious, insouciant muse, WYSIWYG (What You See Is
        > What You Get).

        As long it ain't Scheherazade again...
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2003
          On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:46:11 -0000
          "agrimorfee" <agrimorfee@...> wrote:
          >--- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Brawner"
          ><markbrawner@z...>
          >wrote:
          >> Responding to the amazon thing, here...:
          >> relationships. And in typically Barthian fashion, they
          >are
          >> framed by the narration of a veteran writer, Graybard,
          >and
          >> his flirtatious, insouciant muse, WYSIWYG (What You See
          >Is
          >> What You Get).
          >>

          >As long it ain't Scheherazade again...

          Well, of course it *is* Sherry again, in a way...
          Don't E-Mail, ZipMail! http://www.zipmail.com/
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 18, 2003
            wrote:
            > On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:46:11 -0000
            > "agrimorfee" <agrimorfee@h...> wrote:
            > >--- In johnbarth@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Brawner"
            > ><markbrawner@z...>
            >> >As long it ain't Scheherazade again...
            >

            > Well, of course it *is* Sherry again, in a way...

            (GROAAANNNNNNNN)